AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm interested in buying a receiver. It'll be connected to a DLNA capable TV (LG650). The main usage will be listening to music. The second priority is watching HD movies. It'll be place in a small living room and I usually don't like to hear loud music/movies.

At first, I considered buying Onkyo TX-NR509. But then I came to think that perhaps I don't need the DLNA capabilities of this receiver, as my TV is already DLNA capable, and I consider Yamaha RX-471. I'll probably buy Energy Take Classic 5.1 set and connect them to the receiver.

My questions:

1) Is it true that I don't need a network-enabled receiver if my TV is already DLNA enabled? Will I gain anything if my receiver will also support DLNA?

2) I considered Yamaha RX-471 for no good reason, just because of the brand name. What will be the most cost-effective receiver for me?

3) Is brand name important? Does receiver with identical/similar specs will perform the same?

4) Is my choice of the speakers recommended (I'll also post a question in the appropriate forum)? I picked them just because Cnet highly recommended them. Never heard them, though.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] /forum/post/20819637

Hi All,

I'm interested in buying a receiver. It'll be connected to a DLNA capable TV (LG650). The main usage will be listening to music. The second priority is watching HD movies. It'll be place in a small living room and I usually don't like to hear loud music/movies.

At first, I considered buying Onkyo TX-NR509. But then I came to think that perhaps I don't need the DLNA capabilities of this receiver, as my TV is already DLNA capable, and I consider Yamaha RX-471. I'll probably buy Energy Take Classic 5.1 set and connect them to the receiver.

My questions:

1) Is it true that I don't need a network-enabled receiver if my TV is already DLNA enabled? Will I gain anything if my receiver will also support DLNA?

2) I considered Yamaha RX-471 for no good reason, just because of the brand name. What will be the most cost-effective receiver for me?

3) Is brand name important? Does receiver with identical/similar specs will perform the same?

4) Is my choice of the speakers recommended (I'll also post a question in the appropriate forum)? I picked them just because Cnet highly recommended them. Never heard them, though.

I have a couple of standard questions, please.

What is your total budget and what size is your room?

Thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the rapid response.

As for the room size, I would say it is roughly 3 meters X 7 meters (floor height is pretty standard, 3 meters I guess? ).

Budget? This is a little complicated issue. I live in Europe, and for some reason the receivers are much pricier here. In general, I can afford up to 300+-50 euros, less is better of course.

Another option is to buy an amplifier in US that is compatabile with 220V (I don't know of such) or buy a receiver + step down converter. This is in general less preferred, but I'll do so if there's a great bargain.

·
Premium Member
93,361 Posts
1. It depends .... with Denon AVRs, DLNA AVRs are firmware updated by the owner while non-networking models must be sent to a repair facility. Also, networking models can be controlled by smart phone apps from anywhere in the house where the phone has access to the network.

2. Again, depends on your total requirements and features/inputs required of the AVR.

3. What will be different among the brands is their use of EQ program, Yamaha (YPAO), Pioneer (MCAAC), Denon, Marantz, Onkyo (Audyssey). Some prefer one over another.

4. Yes, nice set of speakers for their price point.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So, in general what are the recommended receivers for my price range / specs?

Are there any option especially recommended for headphones use?

Finally, I forget to mention: I can wait with the purchase for a month or two. Is there a drop of prices / new models that you suggest waiting for?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.