Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Parents are building a new house in Cincinatti and they want to do structured wiring. However, the builder does not have a "smart-home" type of package, and the default is regular phone lines to the kitchen, bedrooms, and living room, as well as a single RG6 to living room, study, and bedrooms. The contractor will not let my Dad do any pre-wire himself, but gave us this list for additional outlets:

Additional light switch - 80

Additional wall outlet - 80

Additional GFI plug - 175

Additional Recessed Light - 160 plus additional charge for wall switch if needed

Additional basement plug in conduit - 80

Additional Phone Rough Outlet - 80

Additional eyeball spotlights - 160 plus additional charge for switch if needed

Cable TV conduit per outlet - 80

Change existing switch to dimmer - 80

Wiring for ceiling fan - 130

These seem a bit high to me, as does the overall cost of the house. $80 to chang a standard switch to a dimmer!!!!

They are charging $130/ft for a 2000sqft home and $35/sqft to finish the basement. That price DOES NOT include appliances (oven etc.), stained wood, or granite countertops.

Is is just me or does this seem a bit high?

Thanks,

Russell

·
Registered
39 Posts
That's absolutely absurb! This must be an MI Homes or Dominion homes deal? They have gotten stupid about letting people wire their houses - I wired a friends MI home back in 2001 and they didn't care, but by the end of 2002 when I went to do another one for him they had a fit. I did a 24 port network, 15 RG6 drops for satellite and component video throughout the house, in-wall speaker wiring for a 5.1 setup, multiple phone lines, and dedicated power/circuits in certain spots for just over $1000 for parts, including all Keystone wallplates and jacks everywhere, tools to terminate CAT6 into RJ45 plugs for the network, nail plates, wall boxes, you name it. MI and their "partners" at Mid-Ohio Prewire wanted about 5 times that price to do everything he wanted. I can see why they have gotten strict, they have to warranty the house, but for Pete's sake already. The builder I am getting ready to contract with has no problems letting me do my own wiring before the insulation goes in.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply! I think it's actually a Chrisman Homes/ Universal Concepts & Designs home. The lot is Brandywine/little miami. My parents laid out all the options they wanted etc. and a home of ~1800sq ft plus basement, and were told to expect ~$330K. My parents agreed and the builder took their design and went to work. He came back with a design very close to their original, but 2000sq ft and $410K YIKES! $80K more than original "estimate". We both think that the builder is just trying to get more money by inflating the price but I wanted to check to see if these prices were out of the norm.

Russell

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
I might expect those prices for a re-fit, which is much more difficult, but for a new home - absurd. I think you need a new builder.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Quote:
Is is just me or does this seem a bit high?
It looks like it falls in line with what we pay here. Some even seem a bit low-- e.g., my builder charged $225 per recessed light and $275 for a ceiling fan box (4 years ago). I never asked what it was to put in dimmers, but $80 looks very high.

I was also not allowed to do any wiring before closing.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Wow they look high to me. I just got done building a house here in Texas. With our builder every room in the house was blocked and wired for fans. That was included in the price. To change a light to a recessed can was $70. To put a recessed can where there was no light at all was $145 with the switch included.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.