AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering how a DIY compares to a commercial product in terms of cost. If taking into consideration the total cost of the driver, amp and enclosure what would the average percantage difference be...50% maybe? For example what would it cost to match the performance of a $1200 mass produced sub by DIY...$600? I am thinking that it would be much greater since the cost of R&D and advertsing would contribute to the markup. Maybe more like 70%...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,652 Posts
It's night and day. Let's say $500. You can get a Rpl 15, EP 2500 amp, and build the box or tube yourself, will outperform a commercial sub costing twice or more. This is a rough idea but very close.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26,476 Posts
I had a Klipsch Sub, Polk sub over the years. I had a SVS PB12 / Ultra 2 for a weekend and I have had the cheapy BIC Sub (Love it for $200 in a small room). Prices ranged from $1500+ down to $200.


I just installed my IB solution at hard cost below $1500 (not including my labor).


There is not even a comparison, I would suspect I might get close with maybe 2 SVS PB12/Ultra 2s but I even doubt that. I have 4 18" drivers being powered by 2400Watts.


The IB solution provides superior sound quality that I have yet to hear in any demo at any so called " high end " places (been to 3 to find out). IB gives you that "compression" feeling and no "boominess" that I have heard from the cheaper subs over the years. Just solid,solid bass...I can not explain how solid it is, its a real experience.


I would put a 5K+ sound quality price tag on my DIY sub design.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,833 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimindcontrol /forum/post/0


I am wondering how a DIY compares to a commercial product in terms of cost. If taking into consideration the total cost of the driver, amp and enclosure what would the average percantage difference be...50% maybe? For example what would it cost to match the performance of a $1200 mass produced sub by DIY...$600? I am thinking that it would be much greater since the cost of R&D and advertsing would contribute to the markup. Maybe more like 70%...


If you try to go Toe-to toe with a 12" woofer sub and a 250watt plate amp the competitionis tough.You may get what you want,but the cost difference is minimal.


You can really start to save cash and get returns on a larger scale design.The bigger you go the more you end up saving when compared to commercial designs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
113 Posts
I just built a ported sub using two RL-P15's. Cost not including amp was about 900 at most. I can't find any subs competitive in a commercial design. The subs for 3,000 couldn't compete. If someone knows of them please let me know as I've been looking. Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,652 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by warnerwh /forum/post/0


I just built a ported sub using two RL-P15's. Cost not including amp was about 900 at most. I can't find any subs competitive in a commercial design. The subs for 3,000 couldn't compete. If someone knows of them please let me know as I've been looking. Thanks

Well, show us! Build pics? Final pics?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
113 Posts
Here's a couple of pics for you guys:



This build was a gift for a good friend. He did pay for the drivers. The box will get granite on top and he will finish it himself before putting the drivers in. My friend lives 200 miles from here so it will be a while before I get to even hear it. I myself have never seen a sub with the potential of this beast.


The drivers are two RL-P 15D4s wired for a 4 ohm load. I used 13ply birch to save weight. He has a Cinenova Grande that he will use one channel of to drive it(600watts). Being as the position is about 6-7 feet behind the couch and his living room is only about 18x25 I figured he should have plenty of bass.


The port is 8" and I tuned to 16.3hz. That was only my second sub build and my first ported.


This is kind of crazy to me as I've been into high end audio for decades but am new to HT. I'd just learned there's movies with frequencies into the single digits. I'd like to see something reproduce 5hz cleanly!


Hopefully he'll be very happy. I am trying to figure out a way to measure it next time I go up there. He does have a laptop but I'll have to research how to go about it using REW.


 

·
Registered
Joined
·
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgveteran /forum/post/0


If you try to go Toe-to toe with a 12" woofer sub and a 250watt plate amp the competitionis tough.You may get what you want,but the cost difference is minimal.


You can really start to save cash and get returns on a larger scale design.The bigger you go the more you end up saving when compared to commercial designs.

you really think so? I recently took apart one of my commercially available subs that retails for $500. The driver and amp were a joke! The enclosure was rather pathetic as well. It could easily be bettered by $100 in parts from PE. I see what you are saying about the bigger, more expensive designs but its seems very much the same way with inexpensive subs as well.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top