AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will any of you guys that had your room designed by and installed by a pro dare to give a price. I mean to ask this as a DIY guy and if it is worth doing as a side business.

There is no doubt that my room has killer sound.I have worked through the audio with a fine tooth comb . The problem is getting it to look acceptable to the public. Some of the pics you guys post are unreal.The rooms look ten times better than mine.

I have never cared what it looks like.The most important thing is the sound when the lights go out.It is fully acoustically treated, but it doesn't have that magazine appeal.

Any takers? Thanx ahead of time for the takers!

·
Registered
174 Posts
I haven't had mine done yet, but I'm sure you're going to get "It depends on how little or how much you want to spend."

The ideas and associated $'s are endless.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I actually completed my theater myself DIY, but did get a quote from a local shop. The quote included design, acoustical treatments, lighting, chairs, a screen, a DLP projector, remote control programming, and final hookup and configuration. $48K. This did not include speakers or equipment since I was bringing that from my previous home, nor did it include wiring because I had already done that myself while my house was being constructed.

In the end, I think I pulled off quite a nice theater for around $13K. I used many of the DIY techniques from here and other sites. New purchases included a screen, an LCD projector, chairs, an additonal pair of speakers and a DVD player. (plus acoustical material, GOM, etc.)

·
Registered
418 Posts
Check my gallery for what I've done to my theater so far by myself (with my wife). Room was constructed with the house along with pre-wires... but we put in the paint, trim, and sconces.

The point here is that I went to a local installer/distributor for the costs of having them install everything else (proj, screen, speakers, equipment). Including equipment, the quote is around $10K for everything... $1500 or so is installation. That's for projector hanging, calibration, screen mounting, 7.1 speaker mounting, and equipment hookup. Good? no. Bad? eh.

·
Registered
7,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd like to see someone say what they paid an installer to do and post pics, come on guys I know you are out there!

Quotes are fine too.It all gives me an idea of what's going on out there.

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
There was someone around here that was very proud that they had DIY built an entire dedicated home theatre room -- chairs, equipment, columns, the whole 9 yards DVD -- for $3000.

I can't find the link -- I suspect it was in my favourites list, and I suspect that the website is gone now. Probably saving a few bucks for a new DVD.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.