AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen a lot of "Is HDTV worth it" threads, but they are focused on the HDTV set, not the cost of obtaining HD through Satellite. I've already decided on a 55" HDTV RPTV but have not decided on getting an HD capable Satellite/OTA receiver. It's unlikely that I can get OTA HD from Wash. DC here in Fredericksburg, VA.

I'm trying to decide between 2 Dish Network 501 PVR receivers or 1 6000 and 1 501 PVR receiver. It comes down to about $450 more the first year including equipment and programming for HD. (I would only get HBO & Showtime for HDTV). With some of the HD quality complaints on HD HBO and Showtime, I wonder if its worth the money. The extra money would easily buy a progressive scan DVD. When I had HBO in the past I rarely watched it. I'm worried I'll tune in to HBO&Showtime several times and say "cool" and end up watching a DVD.

Any thoughts?

Tim

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Well, I bit. I get installed Wed with a 6000 system. At the $9 a month promo, it is well worth it. I am going to pay for HBO and may add Showtime down the road if they get better films in true HD.

I'll qualify for CBS in HD when I "move." :D

·
Registered
395 Posts
I tried really hard to justify going with a dish, but I already get HBO-HD over cable, so it just isn't worth it to me to buy all the equipment involved for one, maybe two more HD stations. I'm hoping in time that equation will change.

If satellite is the way you get your content though, I'd say its a personal decision. It'd be worth it to me if I didn't have the cable option, but that's me.

--Karl

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
It's definitely worth it. Don't look at the cost of the receiver just for satellite. If you can receive any OTA in HD, it's worth it for that alone, as the 6000 is about the least expensive box out there even after adding the 8vsb module for OTA.

I dropped Showtime because it just wasn't coughing up enough good programming in HD or otherwise. I receive 6 OTA digital channels with ABC (DD 5.1), CBS & PBS offering tons of HD programming and NBC not much. I also get FOX at 480p and UPN in SD. All in all I am very satisfied with the 6000. If you want just OTA, you don't have to subscribe to Dish, just have the dish connected so you can get a signal (won't work without it) and get the most current software updates and your primetime programming schedule for ABC, CBS and NBC.

As mentioned above, if you are into sports, then look at Dircect TV for HDNet.

·
Registered
395 Posts
That's true, look at OTA. If you can get that (I can't, and I can't get a waiver) it may well be worthwhile. For me, I'd just be gaining HDNET. Not worthwhile at all. It may be for you though.

--Karl

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
If you live beyond OTA digital signals, chances are (if your wallet allows!) you'll want both DISH and DirecTV. You could use DirecTV for a minimum subscription to HBO--that will also get you HDNet at no additional charge, and DISH for a basic subscription with a locals package for CBS HD.

As for the DISH/DirecTV merger, I wouldn't worry about it. If it actually happens it will likely be two years before the two systems start to be integrated, and when they do you'll likely get a no-charge equipment upgrade.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
DirecTV's HDNET offers little that I would care for (not a sports guy, other than boxing). DISH just won me over with the 6000 receiver and their CBS-HD feed (though most cannot get that, including me, for the moment :D ). Locally I will be able to pick up WFSB Channel 8 (ABC) in 720p, but WFSB Channel 3 (CBS) is not at full power and their signal will never reach New Haven. FOX and NBC have no digital broadcasting in CT.

However, down the road, there will be more OTA HD content in CT, so the 6000 makes the most sense to me. DISH's SD material has less compression vs the other satellite providers and I will subscribe to HBO for their 1.85:1 HD content (I won't be watching 2.35:1 films cropped, unless they are open matted presentations, like GLADIATOR).

Anyone know how far into southern CT the New York Digital stations can reach? I would love to see a website that had each Digital station in the U.S. on a map, with a radius of reach for each.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I was not aware that there were ANY HDTV capable PVR's available from Dish, DTV, or Tivo/Ultimate/Replay. I know that some units are available in Japan, but not here. They are very expensive (over $4000 and have moderately huge hard-drives for the amount of space required for HDTV recording. I know you can record HDTV from variously properly configured computers.

If they do exist (in the domestic market)they do not record HDTV....

I thought that HDTV receivers did NOT have a PVR connected to them. I did not know that there were "dual use" PVR's capable of HDTV reception and normal broadcast PVRing.

Please clarify....

dL

·
Registered
133 Posts
For a number of years I have had DISH and subscribe to a premium movie package. I like my DISHplayer a lot, and don't want to give that up. However, to get HD on a budget, I bought a DTC-100 open-box for $300 and got a new-subscriber deal for DirecTV from Blockbuster for almost nothing ($9.95 at the time). I have now dropped the premium channels from DISH, and subscribe to HBO ala-cart from DirecTV for $12 per month. That gives me all of HBO programming including HBO-HD and HDNet, plus all network OTA programs that are in HD. I think it is a wonderful way to get the best of both worlds and the cost is only about $1 more per month than I paid before. I know the Blockbuster $9.95 deal is over, but there might be other new subscriber deals that can get you DirecTV for a small price. HDNet is in the growing stage, but their PQ is unbelievable. The HBO-HD is worth the price if that was all I got.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Sometime next year Dish Net is coming out with the PVR921. This PVR will allow you to record true HDTV and normal NTSC programming.

Steve

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
dleithaus,

You are correct, currently there are NO HD PVRs. I'm considering getting two standard (not HDTV) PVR receivers (Dish Network 501 PVR) OR one HD receiver (Dish Network 6000 - not a PVR) and one 501 PVR.

I'm considering 2 Dish Network 501 PVRs because it seems the 4000 series receivers are hard to find. (Are they discontinued?)I really need an RF remote for both receivers and would prefer a digital out. I do know about those IR to RF remote extenders.

Tim

·
Registered
200 Posts
Tim,

No matter what ... I would purchase both a PVR unit and an HDTV unit. I am a Direct TV subscriber, and have both. I use the PVR for the majority of my viewing, but the HDTV unit is nice not only for HD (Direct TV) HBO and HDNet, but also as a way to watch OTA HD and normal broadcasts without changing the source on my TV. I have truly enjoyed being able to watch Band of Brothers and the Sopranos this season on HBO-HD, in addition to a number of movies. I am still counting how many shows I do watch... I think I am down to about $15/view based on 40 viewings for the purcahse price of a DST-3000..... gets lower every time I watch something though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.