AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im now using a framed bed sheet as my screen and I want an idea of the cost of raw material preferably acoustically transparent since my center speaker is about 4 inches behind the screen.

The diag screen size is 72" so I would need about 74" so I can staple it to the frame, how much would this cost? $100? $500? I dont want to pay more than $200.

Here's an image of my current screen:
http://jetpaper.com/a10xbright.jpg

Thanks

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
You can purchase raw screen material for most manufacturers right here, through AVS.

I did exactly that and purchased Vutec 1.5 gain material. It was as simple as giving Jason at AVS a call and asking what is available and to get a price quote.

Jason quoted me prices from under $3.00 to over 16.00 per square foot for possible materials I might consider from the various vendors. Granted, the total cost was higher than blackout cloth from the local fabric store, but I was able to get the material exactly the size I needed and it was wider than commonly available blackout cloth. My finished screen is 8 feet wide by 4 1/2 feet tall resulting in a 110 inch diagonal.

Give Jason or Daniel a call, they deserve a chance for your business. It is one way to support AVS, that's for sure. Be aware that perforated screen material is more costly that non-perf, so do not expect $3.00 screen material to be perf'ed. I was very happy with the service I got from Jason.

One other possibility for a DIY effort is "Celtic Coated Cloth." from Dazian. It is pretty inexpensive and some have reported good results. It is acoustically transparent. (actually, it is also somewhat transparent visually as well from what I've read, so keep everything dark behind it.) It is sold by the linear yard so two yards of material might be enough for your screen. the 80 inch wide is under $15.00 per yard. $30 will get you an 80 x 72 inch piece of fabric. If you need wider, it also comes in 122 inch and 160 inch wide. (You might want to ask if there are seams though in the wider widths)

Heck, three yards of the 80 inch wide material will get you a 108 inch by 80 inch screen.. for $45. (It may not be perfect, but it is in your budget)

Do a search and you will find tons of posts where others used it for their DIY screen.

Joe L.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.