AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

A three years ago I bought a 42" Vizeo Plasma from CostCo for $1,400 (before the return policy changed) and last week when I turned it on the screen flickered for a few minutes before "catching". It steadily got worse on startup and yesterday just showed a blank screen. Time to use that return policy

I have $1,400 to spend and would like to buy again at CostCo for the double warranty and 90-day return, plus it would be nice to walk in with broken and walk out with new. I have narrowed it down to three 1080p choices, all $1,400. The Sony 46" LCD KDL-46VL160, the Samsung LN46B610, and the 50" Panasonic Plasma TC-50PS14. Though CostCo has several Sharps in my pricerange, the picture quality compared to Sony and Samsung was noticeably worse and there was noticeable pixelation/blur. The viewing room is about 14 by 18 and not too well-lit due to tree cover outside, will mainly be used to watch Comcast HD TV and DVD movies, and play X-Box 360.

I included the Plasma in there because I really liked the Vizeo's sharp and "full/deep" picture, especially when watching sports or things like the Isle of Mann TT moto racing - it doesn't seem to have the subtle blur and "over-color" of some LCDs I have seen, and looked good from off-center viewing. That said, it is not easy to check for this in Costco with the aquarium demo DVD...

From reading lots of posts on this forum it looks like folks prefer the Samsung over the Sony for the better off-angle viewing and better colors. And again reading posts it seems LCD is better for bright rooms, plasma better for motion and color/sharpness.

So anyone have any thoughts? I am leaning towards the Plasma for the picture, but understand the new LCDs can match it.

·
Registered
6,339 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyv /forum/post/16908971

Hi Folks,

A three years ago I bought a 42" Vizeo Plasma from CostCo for $1,400 (before the return policy changed) and last week when I turned it on the screen flickered for a few minutes before "catching". It steadily got worse on startup and yesterday just showed a blank screen. Time to use that return policy

I have $1,400 to spend and would like to buy again at CostCo for the double warranty and 90-day return, plus it would be nice to walk in with broken and walk out with new. I have narrowed it down to three 1080p choices, all $1,400. The Sony 46" LCD KDL-46VL160, the Samsung LN46B610, and the 50" Panasonic Plasma TC-50PS14. Though CostCo has several Sharps in my pricerange, the picture quality compared to Sony and Samsung was noticeably worse and there was noticeable pixelation/blur. The viewing room is about 14 by 18 and not too well-lit due to tree cover outside, will mainly be used to watch Comcast HD TV and DVD movies, and play X-Box 360.

I included the Plasma in there because I really liked the Vizeo's sharp and "full/deep" picture, especially when watching sports or things like the Isle of Mann TT moto racing - it doesn't seem to have the subtle blur and "over-color" of some LCDs I have seen, and looked good from off-center viewing. That said, it is not easy to check for this in Costco with the aquarium demo DVD...

From reading lots of posts on this forum it looks like folks prefer the Samsung over the Sony for the better off-angle viewing and better colors. And again reading posts it seems LCD is better for bright rooms, plasma better for motion and color/sharpness.

So anyone have any thoughts? I am leaning towards the Plasma for the picture, but understand the new LCDs can match it.

You can buy the 55" Vizio for about the same price at Costco.

You'll have better luck with LCD and you won't have the grand daddy warranty this time.

·
Registered
6,232 Posts
Plasma.

It's a know quantity, and you will very happy with the improved performance over your older model. LCDs have issues with motion and viewing angle. You can't go wrong with the Panny plasma.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Plasma no question. When you get a plasma home your gonna think you were crazy for considering a lcd.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the replies, much appreciated!

I guess you've reinforced what I pretty much knew, that a plasma is what is right for that room. With the 90-day return it is hard not to say, "I'll get it and we'll see how it goes." Plus, using that calculator I found through a link here the viewing distance for 1080p/50" is already right on. I am looking forward to seeing if the 50" 1080p Plasma is that much of a noticeable improvement over the 720 42" Vizeo.

As an aside, we have a smaller 32" Vizeo LCD (bought the same day back in July 2006 as the now dead 42" Plasma - thanks tax return!) - it works well there as the room is very bright and all we really watch up there is news anyway.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts