AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just confirmed this, that costco no longer has the unofficial "lifetime" guarantee anymore! Sucks for the people that have not upgraded yet.

Costco Changes Return Policy for Electronics: Costco changed their return policy for all electronics purchases. Under the new policy, all electronics purchases as of 2007 can be returned "no questions asked" for up to 3 months after purchase, and up to 6 months for defective merchandise. This is a huge change to their policy, where all non-computer electronics returns were accepted for up to 3 years (sometimes 5 years) after purchase with the original receipt. The new policy is for all electronics, including televisions, stereos, GPSs, cameras, projectors, MP3 Players, and phones.

Costco stores will still accept returns for all electronics purchased within the last 3 years, but only for a few more weeks until members are notified about the new policy. The product being returned must include the original receipt, all manuals, cables, and everything which came in the original box. The original product box itself is not required for most electronics returns.

If you still have the original receipt from an electronics purchase made within the last 3 years, you may want to consider returning it soon before the new policy formally takes affect. For example, if you purchased an upconvert DVD player 2 years ago for $120, a 32" LCD HDTV 2 years ago for $900, a 37" LCD HDTV 2 years ago for $1700, or a Garmin Nuvi 350 GPS a year ago for $800, you can return it today for a complete refund which can be used toward anything including a brand new HDTV or GPS. HDTVs have dropped in price by half over the past 2 years, and GPSs have dropped in half over the last year. Getting a full refund for a past purchase and upgrading to a new model is definitely a hot deal.

All non-electronics purchases still can be returned years after purchase, with the original receipt.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I have seen this exact announcement at least a couple of dozen times here on AVS Forum over the past year, and on every single occasion it's turned out to be wrong. I believed it the first dozen or so times, but now I'll be skeptical of any change in Costco's return policy until I see it in an official document.

·
Registered
644 Posts
It struk a reasonable balance between the costco and customers. I do believe a lot of people abused their old policy. And this backfire on the customers. When I tried to return a dead tv the first manager I talked to had no problem. But when I went to the store with the tv the second manager in charge on that day gave hard time to me and I had to take it back home. A day later I eventually returned it but I could feel the staff at presence were not 100% believing the tv was really dead though they did not say anything bad.

·
Registered
5,088 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by minkia38 /forum/post/0

I just confirmed this, that costco no longer has the unofficial "lifetime" guarantee anymore! Sucks for the people that have not upgraded yet.

What do you mean "upgraded"? Like the abuse of the old policy entitles everyone a free upgrade. That's not the intention and I think you will find little sympathy on this forum for advocating that type of abuse. Unbelievable!

I'm thrilled they changed the policy. This abuse just drives up the prices for honest customers

·
Registered
7,201 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slksc /forum/post/0

I have seen this exact announcement at least a couple of dozen times here on AVS Forum over the past year, and on every single occasion it's turned out to be wrong. I believed it the first dozen or so times, but now I'll be skeptical of any change in Costco's return policy until I see it in an official document.

I agree.

Read the following article:

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=5306

·
Premium Member
18,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by minkia38 /forum/post/0

I just confirmed this, that costco no longer has the unofficial "lifetime" guarantee anymore! Sucks for the people that have not upgraded yet..

Prove to us that Costco has changed their policy. Give us a link or something offical from Costco to validate your claim.

The manager of my local Costco recently told me there is no plan to change their return policy, only monitor the return activity of customers who abuse the return policy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.