Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rad1701
As in ink-jet printable DVD-R's - wow! Great deal! I belong to Costco - where is the coupon from??
When you go through check-out, if any of the items qualified for a coupon discount, it is automatic. This particular one came in a mail delivered booklet sent to members a bit ago.

BTW, I noticed the Sunday ads showed a few other outlets carrying DVD's for about same price; around $0.40 per in 25s, 50s, and 100s.

YMMV

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update, burned my first one on my E-80 thats had the firmware upgraded and everything went fine

Joe

·
Registered
795 Posts
I have burned a lot of those TDK printables from Costco both in my Panny set tops and my LG and Sony burners in the computer. In a pack of 100 I may have 2 or 3 failures. For less than .40 per disc, I consider this acceptable. The 16X Verbatims that Sam's sells have had a higher failure rate for me, perhaps 5 to 6 failures in 100 burns but that was trying them at 16 and 8X. I backed off to 4X and have less problems.

I haven't yet worked my way into the 8x Taiyo Yudens I bought. I'm saving them for important stuff. They cost 30% more than the others.

·
Banned
5,755 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike6by9
When you go through check-out, if any of the items qualified for a coupon discount, it is automatic. This particular one came in a mail delivered booklet sent to members a bit ago.

BTW, I noticed the Sunday ads showed a few other outlets carrying DVD's for about same price; around $0.40 per in 25s, 50s, and 100s.

YMMV

The Costco TDK are just over 20 cents each. The Self-Checkout I used at Costco needed the ad scanned to work. However, in the past a Costco employee will whip out a copy of the coupon and scan it if the customer doesn't have one. :)

Now I just need to find an inexpensive DVD-capable printer. Costco had the Epson 300 for $109 with a $30 ($79 net) rebate a week ago but I didn't like the idea of 6 color ink containers. The $30 rebate is over now. I guess I'll write in pencil until I find a printer I want. Our HP doesn't do DVDs.

Any printer suggestions?

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
So can you write on these "printables" with a Sharpie, etc? The DVD FAQs talk about not writing on regular CDs/DVDs with felt tip pens, but I don't know about the printables.

That is, if pen ink is still bad for them.

That's very cheap. Fry's has now dropped their 25 pack to a bit over $5, which ends up being about the same as this deal per disc, and the Fry's ones weren't printables IIRC.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrano
The Costco TDK are just over 20 cents each. The Self-Checkout I used at Costco needed the ad scanned to work. However, in the past a Costco employee will whip out a copy of the coupon and scan it if the customer doesn't have one. :)

Now I just need to find an inexpensive DVD-capable printer. Costco had the Epson 300 for $109 with a $30 ($79 net) rebate a week ago but I didn't like the idea of 6 color ink containers. The $30 rebate is over now. I guess I'll write in pencil until I find a printer I want. Our HP doesn't do DVDs.

Any printer suggestions?
I gave up on printing with a capable printer and went back to Sharpies.

Less cost, less hassle and less waste if a disc goes bad.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrano

Any printer suggestions?
Yep, my checker needed the ad, but I left it in the car (honest, I had one). She borrowed one from another checker.

The R300 is a great printer. The supplied ink tanks have yet to run out (after about eight months of fairly frequent printing). Having six ink tanks means you replace only the one that runs out (at a cost of about $10 each, if you buy them at Costco) rather than replacing the whole cartridge when just one color gets low. If you can find it, the R200 (same, but no card reader) or R320 ("updated" version of R300), you will probably find them excellent options.

·
Banned
5,755 Posts
Thanks Ray.

I liked the capabilities of the 300 but balked at buying 6 ink tanks at a time. I thought Costco sold all 6 as a set. I wish I had bought the printer at $79 now! :(

Oh well, I'll keep my eyes open. I know Frys had it for the same price ($99 w/ a $20 rebate: $79 net) a week or so ago. I prefer to buy from Costco though. Better return policy and Frys is almost 2 hours away from me. :eek:

I'll check out the Ink supplies at Costco again. But I wouldn't mind buying the ink at Office Depot or Staples if the tanks are about $10 each. :)

EDIT: I think I see what you mean now, Ray. I have to buy all six but only have to use them one at a time. I would like to be able to get them separately in case I found that some ran out sooner than others.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I'll concede to the correction on the coupon issue. I too now remember that the clerk often had the a copy of the coupon hanging at his/her station that was scanned for the purchase.

I also looked at buying an Epson 200/300 for printing on discs but kept reading about high consumption rates because of the cleanig ritual required for the line. I don't use my home printer that often and dreaded the thought. I bought a Canon printer for my occasional use which, in the non-US configuration, comes with the ability to print on disc. The only other disc printers I've run across have been thermals or dye subs(???). Still looking for an acceptable unit.

YMMV

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack
So can you write on these "printables" with a Sharpie, etc? The DVD FAQs talk about not writing on regular CDs/DVDs with felt tip pens, but I don't know about the printables.

That is, if pen ink is still bad for them.
I've used Sharpies for years on CD's and DVD's without a problem. I have some DVD's that are approaching 4 years old that I used Sharpies to label, and they show no signs of degradation, either visual or in playback.

What's a definite no-no are ball-point pens and pencils, which wouldn't work real well on the hard surface of the discs anyway.

·
Banned
5,755 Posts
I haven't used one of my printables yet but I assume the paper will accept a pencil. I'd like to be able to erase the writings if (and when) I acquire a DVD-capable printer.

I always used a sharpie on my regular DVDs.

Are there any other DVD-capable printers for the US market other than Epson? I guess I'll do some google work on this later. I'd just like to know what printers people are happy with.

·
Banned
5,755 Posts
I haven't used one of my printables yet but I assume the paper will accept a pencil. I'd like to be able to erase the writings if (and when) I acquire a DVD-capable printer.

I always used a sharpie on my regular DVDs.

Are there any other DVD-capable printers for the US market other than Epson? I guess I'll do some google work on this later. I'd just like to know what printers people are happy with.

EDIT: I see now that printables are different from paper. Using a pencil works, but not well. A sharpie is better but I still might do some printing if I find a good printer.

Good stuff these printables! Nice surface.

·
Banned
1,661 Posts
If you are planning to buy one 100 DVD-R pack from Costco and get another one for free also, but you don't have a DVD recorder, make sure that you also pick up Costco's exclusive Go Video VR-3845 DVD recorder/VCR combo on sale for only $189.99 after the $30 coupon. That's what I did. I already bought both of them yesterday.

·
Registered
576 Posts

Now I just need to find an inexpensive DVD-capable printer. Costco had the Epson 300 for $109 with a $30 ($79 net) rebate a week ago but I didn't like the idea of 6 color ink containers. The $30 rebate is over now. I guess I'll write in pencil until I find a printer I want. Our HP doesn't do DVDs. Any printer suggestions?[/QUOTE said:
I had the R300 and, before it quit working, it was great. :( I had not used up an entire set of cartridges after over 200 discs. The replacements are about $60 for a full set. A friend has an R300 that he has been using for over a year with no problems. He buys aftermarket ink. I don't think mine was ever right from the point of purchase. I bought it at Costco, so I returned it. Instead of paying their current price, I went to Sam's Club and bought the R200 for $79. It's the same basic printer, but lacks stand-alone capability -that's a feature I don't need.

I have used Ritek and TDK and Fuji printables. ALL are made in Taiwan, so I'm not sure who is making them. The Ritek -R (printables) are rumored to be prone to failure after a few months :eek: , but none of mine have...however...I quit putting my archived VHS on these and moved on to the TDK -R. I have only used printables for archiving VHS so I can't really judge picture quality.

·
Registered
37 Posts
OK, this will come off as a dumb question but I have to find out somehow :D.

What the heck is a printable DVDR. I have them and obviously the surface appears to be for printing but I don't think I'm suppose to put it through my inkjet printer :).

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I tried to put a DVD thru our industrial strength laser jet printer and now it looks like a taco.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.