AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry to be really vague here. I was in Costco yesterday looking at a receiver (the only receiver that they have). I think that it was a Yamaha. Does anyone seen this, is it any good ?

I am travelling back to Canada today, I need a receiver, pronto ! Should I pick this up. It was $319.

Thanks.

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,152 Posts
As a long time customer and investor in Costco as a rule the prices are generally very competitive with other sources. Yamaha is a respected brand and if the features of the unit match your requirements I would buy it. If you can report the model number we may be able to help you more.

I looked on line and the only Yamaha unit listed on the Costco website is in a HT package with Klipsh speakers. Costco occasionally gets closeouts and one time items and if it is, the shelf price tag will have a large "*"

·
Registered
360 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kccboy2004 /forum/post/19619218

Sorry to be really vague here. I was in Costco yesterday looking at a receiver (the only receiver that they have). I think that it was a Yamaha. Does anyone seen this, is it any good ?

I am travelling back to Canada today, I need a receiver, pronto ! Should I pick this up. It was $319.

Thanks.

Check the model number and compare with other retailers. From my experience COSTCO's prices are not that great for electronics. Also the unit is likley on the lower end of the totem pole in Yamaha's line. What speakers are you connecting to the amp?

Mark

·
Registered
444 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSmith /forum/post/19619718

Check the model number and compare with other retailers. From my experience COSTCO's prices are not that great for electronics. Also the unit is likley on the lower end of the totem pole in Yamaha's line. What speakers are you connecting to the amp?

Mark

While I love Costco, sadly on electronics they don't always have the best prices. Without the model number it may be a good deal or it may not. What i've found is that Costco has good/fair prices when a model is released, but as other retailers drop the price, Costco's price usually stays the same (Their current Blu-Ray players aren't priced significantly less than other online stores).

·
Registered
12,310 Posts
Basic problem of buying CE porducts through CostCo is that the majority of brands will not sell them direct. This forces CostCo to buy through another source such as a distributor, and this additional step raises their costs significantly...

Just my $0.02..

·
Registered
360 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kccboy2004 /forum/post/19621040

OK... ran back to Costco, this is a Yamaha HTR-5063.

I am connecting it to some generic in-wall speakers that I have on order from monoprice.

Thanks.

Looks like a good deal. The in-walls at Monoprice appear to be 8 ohm nominal and claim to require little power. Sounds like a good match.

Mark

1 - 10 of 10 Posts