AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems like Robert Duvall embodies the great westerns and this is no exception. Costner definitely rejuvenate dhis fledgling career with this gorgeous film that really captures the essence of a truly compelling western. The DVD 's PQ is quite exemplary and htis two-disk set has some really interesting extra features. Highly recommended.

·
Registered
9,904 Posts
When I was out-and-about today, I remember seeing the poster for this film somewhere. It looked very interesting, and since Costner seems to be at his best in westerns, I just might give it a rent.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Of all the movies I've collected and seen, I still haven't brought myself to see "Dances with Wolves" yet. I can't tell you why, because I don't know. But it just doesn't interest me in the slightest.

I'm much more interested in "Open Range" though. I'll be checking that one out before DWW. Who knows. Maybe if I really like it I'll break down and check out the other out as well. Thanks for the update.

·
Registered
512 Posts
As a huge Western fan, I saw Open Range at the theaters. Some of the scenic shots were stunning and, although I'm not generally what you'd call a Costner fan, I thought he did a great job, even outshinning Duval. I know I'll rent the film again, perhaps even buy it.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
release date?

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I think Costner's best roles are in Westerns. Silverado and DWW, I thought were excellent vehicles for him. I have been eagerly waiting for Open Range because of my expectation that Costner will do well in it and in part because Duvall is also in his element in Western roles.

Other than a western, Costner's best role, I think, was in The Big Chill. :)

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Costner tries to embody the simplistic range hand with a gunslinging past in this flick. Duvall's character is very similar to his standout Augustus MacRae role from Lonesome Dove. The gun battle in this one is perhaps the most realistic ever filmed. I mean that in the sense of the chaos and mayhem involved, rather than everyone simply being a crack marksman as most westerns depict.

The key thing here for HT guys like us is that the video quality is exceptional and there's a great DTS soundtrack provided along with a whole separate disk of extras including a video journal of the making of the film that lasts about 40 minutes and is one of the most revealing I've ever seen. It even shows Costner dissing the financial backers of the project big time. Interesting stuff to be sure.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MikeM
Costner tries to embody the simplistic range hand with a gunslinging past in this flick. Duvall's character is very similar to his standout Augustus MacRae role from Lonesome Dove. The gun battle in this one is perhaps the most realistic ever filmed. I mean that in the sense of the chaos and mayhem involved, rather than everyone simply being a crack marksman as most westerns depict.

The key thing here for HT guys like us is that the video quality is exceptional and there's a great DTS soundtrack provided along with a whole separate disk of extras including a video journal of the making of the film that lasts about 40 minutes and is one of the most revealing I've ever seen.

I haven't seen this one, but all the word of mouth from my friends has been very positive. The forum seems to be generally kind to the film as well.

When I heard that Duvall was appearing in OPEN RANGE, my mind went immediately to his work in LONESOME DOVE, which I think is a superb performance by any standard. In addition, I agree with the sentiment already expressed in this thread that Costner seems to be at his best in the western genre.

Mike, your commentary above speaks directly to my hopes for this film, because I love a really good western. Looking forward to seeing it! :)

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tom:

I would go so far as to say that this unquestionably is the best western since Unforgiven and even rivals it to a large degree. I know thats not saying a whole lot since so few have been made in the last 10 years. The only thing is that Unforgiven had a more compelling and complex story line whereas this one is intentionally simple (grazers trying to defend themselves against a greedy rancher). However, Annette Bening's role (she wears no makeup by the way which you have to agree is quite courageous for any actress these days) brings a certain element into this one (the point of view of a prairie town spinster and the growing love between her and Costner) that was lacking in Eastwood's masterwork. But for me, the presence of Duvall in a meaty role here far outweighs anything Eastwood, Freeman, Hackman or Harris brought to Unforgiven. The photography as well is miles ahead of Unforgiven.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I'll be purchasing this blindly for a few reasons. I like Kevin Costner...he did a great job in quite a few movies that I like - Silverado, The Untouchables, Field Of Dreams, Dances With Wolves, Revenge, Wyatt Earp...and others I can't recall. It helps that I love westerns. Silverado is a classic for me. Costner does do his best work in westerns and I'm looking forward to this one.

Herm

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Actually, I like costner. Like I said in my post, "in a movie that people say good things about". He's been the favorite hollywood whipping boy since water world which, by the way, I actually liked even though it had its lame moments.

·
Banned
3,752 Posts
Since I've also had the opportunity to watch this disc a little early, I'll add my two cents to the discussion.

My thoughts pretty much echo Mike's. Based on reviews and some word of mouth, I was already expecting a pretty good movie. If I was surprised by anything, it was that Open Range was actually better than I expected, and that is rare. Indeed, I find it surprising this film did not garner more buzz during its theatrical run. I suspect the frenzy over Matrix and Return of the King fairly overshadowed just about everything in the second half of the year.

Costner turns in a solid performance as the stoic cowboy with a past he is not proud of. Robert Duvall is his usual exceptional self, even if this is a role he seems to have done before. No matter, he is damn good at it. Annette Bening holds her own in a part that is relatively small, but a pivotal character none the less.

The DVD is very good, if not great. The film's cinematography is exceptional, among the best in recent memory. Of course, how many films in recent memory actually have real scenery :D. Costner and the DP make very good use of the 2.35:1 frame and the visual "scope" of the photography is a major part of the attraction here.

I haven't had a chance to peruse the supplements yet, but this disc is an easy recommendation based on the movie and transfer alone.

Whoever says the western is dead is misinformed. The genre is not dead, just most of the people that make good ones are. Fortunately, there are still a few that know how to make a good western. Kevin Costner is obviously one of them.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Didn't see this movie in the theater(wish I had now) but I was able to rent this movie a little early and enjoyed it very much. I agree with the comments of MikeM and Robert George that the cinematography is first rate. The story line and acting is quite good. This is definitely worth watching more than once. I'll be purchasing it when available. My two cents.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Kevin, Dances with Wolves is a great movie, an unforgettable one.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Quote:
Of all the movies I've collected and seen, I still haven't brought myself to see "Dances with Wolves" yet.
I was the same way,until yesterday when I saw about an hour of it on television and then turned the channel.I have always turned the channel when this movie has come on because I too just had no interest in it,but yesterday I turned it because I did not want to see the rest of it on television.Now I want to buy it and watch it on my pj.Maybe I just wasn't ready for it before but definitely am now.

·
Premium Member
3,939 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Seanster
Kevin, Dances with Wolves is a great movie, an unforgettable one.
Bull Durham, anyone? Tin Cup? A Perfect World? No Way Out? And about a dozen more.

This guy's been in as many great movies as anyone in Hollywood just about. I don't understand why he gets criticized so much..

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Erod
Bull Durham, anyone? Tin Cup? A Perfect World? No Way Out? And about a dozen more.

This guy's been in as many great movies as anyone in Hollywood just about. I don't understand why he gets criticized so much..
I've got nothing really against Kevin Costner. "Field of Dreams" in fact is one of only about five movies I can think of that brings me to tears, and I'm one of the few I know who even kind of likes the goofy "Bodygaurd" movie.

DWW just seemed to me to be a very long ponderous movie about a subject that didn't really interest me. But I love the music from it, and I'm convinced by Gr8full and Seanster's posts. I'll check it out this week, along with "Open Range," which I'm really looking forward to.

I notice that the only current edition of DWW available is the 236 minute director's cut. That's a LOT of DWW!

1 - 20 of 150 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.