Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thank you very very much.

I'm goin' to US in these days,and I want to buy a HDTV tuner with IEEE1394 link,because I have a D-VHS .

------------------

SLEEPLESS IN SEATTLE

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
There are none currently available with any type of IEEE1394 ports.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Not even a PC Card HDTV Tuner has firewire yet?

------------------
nn2g2bT = Not NECESSARILY Too Good to be True

·
Registered
433 Posts
Only the Panasonic TU-DST50/51 HDTV tuners have firewire connections. These units have been discontinued, but you might be able to find one used. Many stores have them as demo units or you might be able to find one on e-bay. I'm assuming your D-VHS unit is also the Panasonic (?). If it's the JVC, I'm not certain that the Panasonic will work with that unit or not. Check the other posting in the hardware forum about the JVC to confirm its compatibility. Good luck!

·
Registered
164 Posts
bellmore is correct, the Panasonic TU-DST50/51 HDTV tuners have firewire connections, these units have been discontinued and when coupled up with the PV-HD1000 video recorders you had HDTV recording all were pulled due to pressure the motion picture industry.

(IEEE 1394 Digital Interface allows for connection to a compatible set top box to make digital recording and playback possible) Tivo I have read will be releasing a HD recording unit this fall, the draw back is it only records 2 1/2 hrs in the HD mode, (thats a 30gig drive) however in the other formats you get those high hour options.

------------------

Graphics

STOP DVI/HDCP AND DFAST

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Could anyone tell me where can I get Panasonic TU-DST50/51 HDTV tuners ?

(U.S)

Thanks a lot!

------------------

SLEEPLESS IN SEATTLE

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Misinformation is a dangouss thing,

Firewire devices for interconnecting componants in the home will use the HVAI standard. HVAI is the protocol standard that will allow different manufacture componants communicate to other manufactoure componants across the iLink(IEEE 1394) bus. If you buy any new or old device that uses Firewire just make sure it supports the HVAI protocol and everthing will talk.

------------------

Bruce.in.Cary

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
Quote:
Firewire devices for interconnecting componants in the home will use the HVAI standard
Actually, that's HAVI, I believe. And I'm not so sure that its a given that its going to be the winner, though it seems to have key CE companies in its list of supporters. But, you have to remember that a lot of companies will just say, "oh, yeh we support that standard", just in case it should ever *actually* win. If it doesn't, no one will ever remember that they were listed as supporters, and if you look around you can often find them listed as supporters of some direct competitor.

I'm certainly all for there being such a standard. As someone who is working on a home/home-theater control system, it would vastly simplify things for me. But, for a long long time, there will be devices out there with serial port control systems.

------------------

Dean Roddey

The CIDLib C++ Frameworks

[email protected]
www.charmedquark.com

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Upgradability of WS-65907 as Mitsubishi Announces 1394???

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Mitsubishi Announces 1394 Integrated High-Definition Television and Networking Strategy

IRVINE, CA, March 14, 2001-Mitsubishi Digital Electronics America, Inc. (MDEA) today announced its strategy for the 2001 introduction of integrated high-definition televisions (featuring built-in digital receivers) with networking capability.

The company specifically announced the fall introduction of several HDTVs with integrated digital receivers, IEEE 1394 high-speed serial bus circuitry with 5C copy protection, and HAVi (Home Audio Video interoperability) control software. Specific roll-out dates, screen sizes and pricing will be announced at MDEA's National Dealer Line Show in early May in Long Beach, CA.

Mitsubishi also reported it is in discussions with a number of consumer electronics companies to license Mitsubishi's Promise Module technology, which enables the upgradability of equipment to be compatible with HDTV receiver-decoders, IEEE 1394 networking, 5C copy protection and HAVi software.

"

Will the Promise form Mits include this technology for exisitng WS-65907's?

And, for others???

"One of the companies proposing DVI - JVC - would capture digital signals in bit stream form on D-VHS cassettes before being decoded and shipped to HDTV sets and monitors on the DVI interface. The bit stream signals would then be decoded inside the recorder or attached set-top device into a format supported by DVI. Content producers would then have double protection against copying programming from copy management encryption and the absence of home-based recording devices capable of using the broadband signals.

Prior to announcing the new sets, Perry told TWICE that he worries that if the DVI standard makes its way to retail stores in early consumer devices, supporting content producers would attempt to prevent their material from being transported over IEEE-1394 networks. DVI input is not part of Mitsubishi's long-term product strategy because it is not networkable, controllable or recordable, he said.

"Devices that support the DVI interface are really encouraging the demise of `fair use' home recording rights, because the DVI signal is not recordable," a company statement read.

Instead, the recent actions of Mitsubishi and Sony appear to be priming the early market for IEEE-1394 technologies.

"We specifically rejected the DVI interface, because it is effectively a `monitor' connection that cannot be networked or recorded," he said. "Consumers should not lose their right to record as we transition to digital," Perry added."

JVC is backing DVI not IEEE 1394 FireWire.

Also, from what I understand, the studios will not alllow HDTV content to travel over component video in the future.

They will either withold the content or cause DirecTV & DISH to only transmitt to new generation STB's that DVI equipped.

Murray

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Graphics:
(Tivo I have read will be releasing a HD recording unit this fall, the draw back is it only records 2 1/2 hrs in the HD mode, (thats a 30gig drive) however in the other formats you get those high hour options.

Tivo is end user upgradable, you can add an 80gb drive, or even dual 80gb drives if you wish.....

------------------

"We are the last generation of people who will remember analog TV.......The Future is HDTV"

SVR-2000 v2.01

·
Banned
410 Posts
Keep in mind, that presence of an IEEE-1394 port does _not_ necessarily mean interconnectivity. Better known as Firewire or iLink, the connection is much more like a network cable connection similar to Ethernet.

You still need a protocol for two devices to communicate. Like with Ethernet you can have LanManager, TCP/IP, etc. as a communicating protocol. As far as I know there is no standard for HD Mpeg data streams to communicate to each other over Firewire. I could be wrong but I believe each Mfr. uses their own proprietary protocol. Any experts on Firewire protocols may wish to comment here. Even with DV (a supposed standard standard def protocol over Firewire) some camcorders can talk to each other and others can't.

Rick

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.