AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess the other thread got me thinking about that possibility. Does anyone know what it takes to become a Superstation like TBS and WGN?

TBS and WGN games don't get blacked out unless your home team is playing the Braves or Cubs and your local station is broadcasting the game.

Or if ESPN or a major network has the rights.

Just wondered if HDNet could become the first HD Superstaion. I for one would like to see the Mavericks play.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Well, a "superstation" is an OTA broadcast station in its home market (Atlanta for TBS, Chicago for WGN) -- and since HDNet is not broadcast over the air anywhere (the feed that HDNet sends to OTA stations in places like Dallas, Charlotte, Oklahoma City, and Minneapolis is not the same programming at all as what runs on the satellite/cable channel) it by definition cannot be a superstation.

As for the blackout policies...I suspect that has to do with the negotiated contract with the sporting leagues, and that probably just has to do with how much money TBS and WGN can afford to pay versus what HDNet can afford.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Isn't there some area where MTV and/or CMT is OTA? I thought I've read that before. Now how about music blackouts when a song is being played locally ;)

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
MTV2 runs OTA via LPTV affiliates in some areas of the US. The only place I've ever seen the MTV main channel broadcast OTA was in Rome, Italy.

Needless to say, that wasn't the same feed as we see in the US...

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
MTV2 is available OTA in Boston, but it located on a LP station channel 24, which is unfortunately right next to the high power FOX station Channel 25. Adjacent channels don't work so well with NTSC...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.