AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched through a few other threads and it seems very likely that the constant flicker problem I'm having with my projector could be from the receiver's video conversion.

Projector-PT-AE2000U (panasonic)

Receiver- STR-DA5200ES (sony)

I run my HD DVR, PS3 (both HDMI) and Xbox 360 (component) into my receiver and run one 35' run to the projector via HDMI. I have the receiver set to upconvert (1080p).

I sent my projector to panasonic's techs at Heartland and they could not duplicate the slight flicker that I get at home. They changed the bulb anyway and sent it back. It's still flickering...

Anyone else run into this issue?

Do I have the settings wrong on my receiver?

Any thoughts would be helpful-I plan on testing my theory by changing the wiring around in the next couple of days.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Have you attempted to plug anything directly into the projector with that cable? Then try a different shorter cable as well to see if its resolved?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ill be trying tomorrow to run the cable straight to the PS3 and the optical cable to the receiver. The run up the wall and to the projector is 25'+, so Im a bit out of luck.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Why not unplug it from the receiver and plug that hdmi cable directly into the ps3 just to test it out. Is it a flicker that happens randomly?

·
Registered
661 Posts
Oh your saying you have all your equipment in a a/v rack inside the wall. Alrighty
. When ever I would get a flicker it be a cause from hdmi but mine were always consistent not a randomized flicker. You could also try a different resolution possibly 1080i. I used to get a frequency out of range (at 1080p) if I used the hdmi output 1 on my receiver which when I switched to output 2 actually resolved the problem.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Fishman - boy, is your topic timely for me! I also did a search regarding flicker, in the high end threads yesterday morning, and found nothing. I have a Panasonic AE1000U, which is 49 weeks old, and which has three more weeks on warranty. My problem sounds slightly (well, maybe significantly) different from yours. I guess when we use the word "flicker", as its commonly used, we're refering to a quick, improperly variable light view - and in that sense, my problem isn't a flicker - my issue, which just started a week ago, is an intermittent slight darkening of the picture on the screen, and then a slight lightening, but not quickly, sometimes two or tree minutes between changes - and boy is it distracting, isn't it! Two nights ago my friends who had joined me spontaneously commented on what they were being disturbed by - this finally prompted my search here. I just spent 47 minutes this morning watching the beginning of another movie, and unlike a couple of nights ago, when the "flicker was obvious every two or three minutes, it may have happened (I'm not really certain) only once this morning.

From what I've read here so far, you've already received some potentially useful and valuable suggestions about locating the source of your problem. I would encourage you to read my long post to the end, as I may have something useful for you before I'm done.

I'm not certain as to why you are not able to make use of some of the suggestions which have been made to you so far. But to step back a moment, it sounds as if you've certainly ruled out the projector as a source of the problem, considering that Panasonic Service couldn't replicate it (and you have a new bulb to boot!). And I assume that your source players are not the problem, as from your discourse it sounds as if you've tried all three, with the same flicker showing up. Sooooooo, logically enough, you've identified what SEEMS to be left, the receiver, as the source of the problem. Well, that may be the problem for both you and me! BUT, it may not be. And before I get to another consideration, I have a question.

It has already been suggested to you that you connect one of your sources (the DVR, the Playstation, etc.), directly into the Panasonic Projector. For some reason of which I'm not entirely clear, this doesn't seem to be an option to you. If I read you correctly, your inablility to do this appears to be either 1) the impossiblity of moving one of your source components, 2) not being able to connect otherwise, because of the 35 feet distance, and a cable that's buried in the wall, or 3) the impossibility of hooking another input into the back of your projector. If the latter is the issue, I don't understand, as you must have some access to the inputs on the back of the projector? Or, you may be taking account of the fact that you only have the one very expensive HDMI cable buried in the wall!

Well, I hate to suggest another alternate to the receiver being the problem, but here it is. Could it be the cable!? I imagine your next step is to circumvent your receiver by plugging the back end of that 35 foot HDMI cable you have into one of your source 1080 players. If you still have the flicker, then it could well be the cable! And you could test that (I suppose), by placing one of your 1080 source players directly under the projector (I assume its on the ceiling), and connecting it to the usual HDMI input on the projector with any cheap 10 foot HDMI cable (even most HDMI cheap cables will work up to ten feet in length).

By the way, my next test will be to test the receiver as the source, by running around it, and if I still get "flicker" then I'll test my fifty-five foot in-wall cable with just the way I've suggested last, above.

I have spent the better part of four days during the latter part of last year studying HDMI transmission and the problems thereof. When we hear about such problems, its usually in connection with the cables themselves. And then we hear about either "sparkly" noise or no picture at all being caused by poor transmission over the cable. And usually it is the cable causing such problems - I must admit I've never heard of "flicker" being caused by such mis-transmission, but here is why it might be possible. The 19 separate conductors inside all HDMI cables are often connected in a rather tenuous way to their plugs and receptacles, and the latter being an issue in the projector/tv or the receiver or other source device.

You might also consider gently wiggling the back end of the HDMI cable where it connects to your receiver - if this momentarily corrects the problem (or makes it more immediately apparant or worse), then it could be either the cable or the receiver's internal socket connections.

That's all I have at the moment - I'll be back here within a day or two if I identify anything as a source of the problem on my end, and I hope you'll do the same.

By the way, if you or anyone else out ther is considering purchasing any HDMI cables, without reservation I would recommend Blue Jeans HDMI cables, which are a darned sight less expensive than the horribly overpriced Monster or even more outrageous products out there. As of even a few months ago, all of Blue Jeans' HDMI cables were the only ones built in this country instead of China - they're built by Belden in Indiana, using a new Belden patent for manufacture of the precision twisted wire pairs found in HDMI cables to assure that they maintain required capactance over very long runs - they meet the "eye" test in all cases! And no, I'm not associated with Blue Jeans.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the very detailed post-you and I have EXACTLY the same issue.

Well....I spent about 2.5 hours taking everything apart and trying all sorts of combinations for the flicker. My flicker is like yours-a lightening and darkening of the screen-very random occurence. Its almost as if the projector is trying to adjust itself depending on the signal.

I tried the following combinations using the PS3-

1. Used the 35' HDMI cable straight to the pj.

2. Used a 6' cable straight to the pj.

3. Changed the video upconvert settings on the receiver to 1081i, 720p and 480i and ran the PS3 through it.

4. Used the PS3 on my 42" plasma to make sure it wasnt the PS3

What I found was a bit odd-although I didnt watch more than a few minutes of the Cars Blu-Ray movie when I was testing it. The 'flicker' happened when I played Uncharted (game), especially when there was a lot of light on the screen. I did NOT see it when I played Xbox 360 (played Mass Effect, Orange Box and Rock Band) or when I played Cars BluRay on the PS3. I still see it when I was watching the Patriot/Chargers game in HD.

It's still happening. I dont think its the receiver, or the PS3-and as you said-since Panasonic couldn't get the pj to replicate the issue, I don't think its the pj.

Im really at a loss-I even tried running and extension cord to another circuit in my house to see if it may have been the electricity.

Im thinking of buying 2 new HDMI 1.3 cables and running them straight to the pj-I see a lot of posts about the different versions of HDMI cables and wonder if all of mine are 'incompatible'. Im a bit of a rookie at this unfortunately.

So, I don't know where to go from here. The only two things I think it may be are the cables and/or something in the pj that is causing it to adjust the brightness.

·
Registered
57 Posts
My Panasonic AE900 had slight flickering. I fixed this problem adjusting panels convergence in service menu of the projector. Maybe it's similar problem?

Also try another HDMI cabel or set temporarily component connection, it may help to locate more exactly the problem.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Dear Fishman - First, I'll be brief this time (!) because, even though its a Sunday, I'm working at my regular day job (video producer), and I won't be back til tomorrow at the earliest. Malder may have a solution!

For your info Blue Jeans Cable is one of th AVS Sponsors at the top of this page - here are a couple of links you'll find interesting - their writeup on the cables is one of the best explanations I've ever seen of the issues which could concern us:

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/...bles/index.htm

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/...eries1hdmi.htm

If you've tried another 6 foot HDMI cable directly in, or any other cable, for that matter, then it well may be the projector after all.

One final suggestion - you have three HDMI cable inputs on the back of that projector - have you tried a different one than the one you usually use? It could be the HDMI socket connection on the projector.

Good luck to us all!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ive been in the hidden service menu and didn't see the panel convergence option. Ill check again.

Ive tried all three HDMI inputs-all of them are the same-unfortunately. Im going to check out the links you gave me. Ill also go and buy a long component cable to hook my DVR up to the pj directly. The coax coming out of the wall isnt long enough to get me close to the pj.

The other HDMI cable I tried came with my HD DVR (Directv), so its probably not a good cable.

The PS3 only came with RCA's(ridiculous BTW) and its not a standard input on the back-so I cant test it with the cables I have.

Im going to call Heartland tomorrow and talk to them about it. I think they may have been looking for a 'candle-like' flicker rather than 'brightness adjustments' that we are seeing.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Dear Fishman:

Well, just before signing off, I just spent an hour in my screening room playing Blu Rays on on e Blu Ray player, through an HDMI cable to the receiver, and then HDMI from there to the projector, and for forty minutes it was just as solid as a rock - no flicker. So then I switched the Blu Ray HDMI cable from the Blu Ray into the HDMI input on the receiver - this was the inpput I had been experiencing problems with, with a HD-DVD input - but with the alternate hook-up, no problems, at least for the twenty minutes I played it.

So, in all probablity, my problem is with the HDMI cable coming off of the HD-DVD player, the player itself, or even a temporarily faulty transmission in the connection between a particular plug and the corresponding socket - it would take only a miniscule spec of dirt or fuzz to interfere with the incredibly touchy HDMI transmission. The fact that any of this works anytime is astonishing!

I'm in the studio working straight through all day tomorrow, but by late tomorrow night I should be able to do some more checking, and I'll let you know. In the meantime, good luck with your component cable findings - unless you can easily replace that HDMI cable in the wall, let us hope the problem i not that cable.

One more thing - have you been having the problem with the flicker since you set up the Panasonic, only? Or since installing the HDMI cable in the wall, or what. In effect, when did the problem start, in relation to when something new was installed or hooked up differently - or did it just start inexplicably, with no apparent change of any kind?

In the meantime.

So

·
Registered
536 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman76092 /forum/post/12877931

Ive been in the hidden service menu and didn't see the panel convergence option. Ill check again.

Ive tried all three HDMI inputs-all of them are the same-unfortunately. Im going to check out the links you gave me. Ill also go and buy a long component cable to hook my DVR up to the pj directly. The coax coming out of the wall isnt long enough to get me close to the pj.

The other HDMI cable I tried came with my HD DVR (Directv), so its probably not a good cable.

The PS3 only came with RCA's(ridiculous BTW) and its not a standard input on the back-so I cant test it with the cables I have.

Im going to call Heartland tomorrow and talk to them about it. I think they may have been looking for a 'candle-like' flicker rather than 'brightness adjustments' that we are seeing.

Hi fishman,

It's not a convergence adjustment it's called "Panel Adjust".

Before going to the panel adjust make sure you have a solid image on the screen like a full field gray pattern. There are six adjustment screens in panel adjust control. 3 for desktop and 3 for ceiling mounted. Only use the three that apply to how the projector is mounted. It's pretty painless and REALLY obvious what adjustment has to be made per panel.

Good luck!!

Elio

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliocon /forum/post/12882018

Hi fishman,

It's not a convergence adjustment it's called "Panel Adjust".

Before going to the panel adjust make sure you have a solid image on the screen like a full field gray pattern. There are six adjustment screens in panel adjust control. 3 for desktop and 3 for ceiling mounted. Only use the three that apply to how the projector is mounted. It's pretty painless and REALLY obvious what adjustment has to be made per panel.

Good luck!!

Elio

Thanks-I think on mine is called flicker adjust (has green, blue, red and says either desk or ceiling). Ive done that already. Its not a flicker like that unfortunately. Its just a random lightening or darkening of the entire picture-happens a couple times per minute more/less.

Sony-Im going to contact Heartland today and I may try and get a 'loaner' projector to see if that one does the same thing from a local company (if I can find one).

Hardware-wise, there was two changes: I returned a Samsung BluRay player and got a PS3 due to the firmware upgrade issues and I upgraded to an HD DVR from an HD receiver (both were done a week or so before the issues started). I completed the room on December 2 and everything worked great. After xmas (about 85+ hours on the original bulb, this problem started occurring. It happens randomly on all devices (360, ps3, TV) and even on the blue screen when there is nothing playing.

Thanks for the help-Ill keep plugging away.

·
Registered
536 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmccormack /forum/post/12882395

I thought all Panny projectors flicker, i always see comments on their various models of flickering

NEVER had a filcker problem on any Panny projector I've owned.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Fishman,

Do you have all your sources and projector connected to a power conditioner? Is it possible you may be experiencing minor power issues?

Elio

·
Registered
17 Posts
Projectors can often flicker because of the lamp. It used to be a very common problem in the "old days". Perhaps this unit doesn't use some of the newer technology to overcome this problem. I've seen some promote they pulse the lamp in the past by regulating the power to it to keep a constant brightness. You don't see it talked about much any more as I thought most used it now.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliocon /forum/post/12883356

Fishman,

Do you have all your sources and projector connected to a power conditioner? Is it possible you may be experiencing minor power issues?

Elio

Ill say 'Bingo' ....tentatively.

I spoke with a local home theater tech that does mostly Panasonic installs today. I ran him through absolutely everything and he said it was probably one of three things: 1. The processor in the pj needs to be fixed-he had a 2000u that he had to replace due to this a few weeks ago. 2. The PS3, 360, and HDDVR were causing havoc on the signal. or 3. The power to the pj and the other items on the rack is not constant.

So with his recommendation-I went and bought a 'power conditioner/surge protector' outlet for the pj and one for the rack too. I had one for the rack, but I believe it was only a surge protector. Along with that, I rearranged the items in the rack to space them out a bit...

After 1.5 hours of operation on all three sources, I did not see any light fluctuations. Only time will tell-but until then-

Thanks for everyone's help!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Well Fishman, that's wonderful, if it continues to work. As for myself, mine fixed itself after I wiggled the HDMI cable connected to the output of an inexpensive Toshiba HD-DVD player I had purchased just before this flicker became a problem - I had purchased the Toshiba to temporarily replace a Toshiba XA2 still under warrenty I had sent off to Toshiba to have it repaired after it shut down when I loaded the fifth fixer program into it.

So in my case, it appears to have been a poor HDMI connection - power conditioner or no, yours may have been the same thing!? Next time (if it does happen again, we can both try wiggling the cables!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts