AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

on a 2d perspective, it is where it is supposed to be.

on a 3d one ... who knows?

But the pioneers have been close.

regards

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

watch in the pure mode ... nothing else. It won't be that bright in the pure mode. It is closest to accurate out of the box.

If a setting of 40 for contrast is too bright for you ... turn it down until it does not hurt your eyes.

regards

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

Color decoding really has little to do with an image being too bright.

kinda like asking people to look at your foot ... when your hand hurts.

regards

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

how do you know that is not the way the scene is supposed to look?

regards

·
Registered
8,006 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zissou /forum/post/18144863

Thanks Mike, it's just unbearably bright right now at 47 footlamberts. Gets calibrated on the 1st but wanted to make sure there were no major decoder errors.

You can't diagnose color decoding errors simply by looking at a CIE chart. Many such errors are perpendicular to the chart and don't appear on it.

·
Registered
8,006 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zissou /forum/post/18145807

I was hoping it could give a rough idea if nothing else.

It's not really a question of its ability to give a precise or a rough approximation. As I said, many color decoding errors do not appear at all on the chart, so for these it has no value at all.

·
Banned
20,735 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zissou /forum/post/18146883

Would blown out backgrounds be a symptom of anything in particular?

What do you mean by blown out backgrounds?

Usually "blown-out" means when something is filmed that it's way too bright and kind of blows out to white, and I don't understand if this is what you mean and what this would have to do with backgrounds.

Do you mean backgrounds are flat and faded looking? (not blown out?) That would seem to indicate too low a gamma, but again I don't know what you mean here or what you're describing...

·
Registered
476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael TLV /forum/post/18144896

Greetings

how do you know that is not the way the scene is supposed to look?

regards

Finally someone points out what has been obvious to me for decades.

What color is grass? Without calibration to a standard you don't know unless you were standing behind the camera when the film/image was taken!

·
Registered
1,011 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zissou /forum/post/18148092

It's already well below where any Kuro should be and really has no effect on the issue.

And how do you know this?

Not ot be rude but it sounds to me like you need ot either go at it with some basic patterns temporarily, or just turn it off until your calibrator gets there.

·
Registered
8,006 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zissou /forum/post/18152543

Basic patterns have been done. Contrast is at 23 which is much more suitable for night viewing rather than day. If you have nothing positive to add rather than mistaken assumptions then thanks for your time and take care.

If you are getting 47fL in Pure mode with the Contrast set at 23, then something is very, very wrong.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
So exactly what assumption was mistaken? You're asking for help and discounting everything people are telling you.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

Time to hit reset on the Pure settings and start from scratch. Even better to wait for the calibrator since we can't really see through your eyes.

I've had people swear to me they knew how to use the DVE disc and the patterns ... and when I arrive, furthest from the truth. Everything a mess ... but they thought they did it right ...

Hard to troubleshoot this without seeing it.

regards

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

Your set could be that outlier ... and if so ... then turn the contrast down ... who cares where the number ends up. It is an outlier TV.

regards

·
Registered
12,736 Posts
Perhaps if you did a 10-pt grayscale run and posted 3D primary/secondary data, you could determine the exact problem. Showing a CIE Diagram doesn't help diagnose the issue as it says nothing about luminance.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.