AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I spent about 6 hours last night moving things around trying to find the "sweet"spot for my THT , But it never happened.. After all the spots I moved it to, laying it down, turning it upside down, multiple different corner loads it just never got louder and deeper and sounded better than where I had it originally.. Behind the couch.

NOW heres the thing that reeeaalllly makes me wonder about dead spots, corner loading and room gain... I've had THIS sub right here And I didnt get 1 dead spot in the entire living area pretty much anywhere i put it ( against the wall or corner loaded )While not as loud or as deep by comparison by any means It outperformed the THT in 75% of loading positions in my house because when the THT had a dead spot.. It was DEAD all you could hear where little pops for bass, like an overpowered 6 1/2, BUT every little bit closer you moved it got deeper Until I couldnt get the couch any closer to it
.and Honestly the only place it doesn't is where it is behind the couch right now, and thats obviously cuz im 3 feet away from the mouth which is loaded in a corner..

So is there any reason why the $150 12 I have plays better with ZERO dead spots over the THT? Is my room to small , oddly shaped or something else? Cuz it really is a bummer that that tiny little 17x17x17, 12" outperforms this monster in most of my living room,

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by snickel /forum/post/18134826

Set it up so that it sounds the best at your LP

lol thanks ..
I kinda did that for 6 hrs straight , everything short of hanging it from the ceiling.. Still peaks in the corner of my kitchen

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Maybe you blew the driver... or developed a leak.

·
Registered
21,345 Posts
do you have your distance settings setup properly? if your mains are cancelling your subs that could be one possibility for your problem. mains need to be set "way back" to match phase with a tht. i forget what the optimal spec is. 15 feet/ms or so?

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Its weird... where it is now ( in the pics above ) its crazy loud , deep, hits hard, accurate etc etc , basically shakes the house apart.. BUT it seems its the ONLY place it work, AND only the ppl on the couch can hear excellent bass/sound .. the person who sits in the ugly chair lol, Hears basically nothing.. AMazing what 2 feet can do to performance I guess....

Here is a little panorama standing behind my tv, to the listening positions.. Still a mess, had ALOT of rearranging to do, so half of my LR is still in the kitchen

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 /forum/post/18134906

do you have your distance settings setup properly? if your mains are cancelling your subs that could be one possibility for your problem. mains need to be set "way back" to match phase with a tht. i forget what the optimal spec is. 15 feet/ms or so?

Ahh man, I dunno
Im just still bummed I can put my little 12 anywhere i want in the room and not have a dead spot(s) and this only sounds reference in one spot..

Random question.. On the PE 240 amp it should be set on normal phase right? not reverse.? On standard sealed/ ported setups its obvious, but didnt know if it was different in this enclosure

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 /forum/post/18135038

maybe all that clutter is absorbing your bass. ;-)

haha, well now its basically a cabinet 2 racks of movies , surrounds, and cleaning stuff .. Since I dont tend to move the entertainment center too often ..

But even when all the stuff in the kitchen, it was a no -go.. Same thing

·
Registered
810 Posts
My Marantz receiver set my THT at 35 feet and my mains at 12 ( which is correct for them). I have moved mine around the listening room and the performance has been good in all locations .

·
Registered
21,345 Posts
"Ahh man, I dunno
Im just still bummed I can put my little 12 anywhere i want in the room and not have a dead spot(s) and this only sounds reference in one spot.. "

then that is rising up the list of possible problems. a sealed has pretty much no delay because the woofer is right on front of the enclosure. the horn, however, has a driver that is buried 15 feet or so inside a tube. that 15 (i'm not sure if it is 15 or 14 or whatever) will create a huge delay in the time before the sound enters your room. if the delay from the length of the sub is inversely matched to your mains, your bass will cancel out.

one test may be to try running your sub without your mains. then, turn on your mains and see if the bass goes away when you turn your mains on/up.

"Random question.. On the PE 240 amp it should be set on normal phase right? not reverse.? On standard sealed/ ported setups its obvious, but didnt know if it was different in this enclosure"

it is a sledgehammer approach. ideally, phase would be dialed in, but a 180 degree flip should be 'good enough' to avoid cancellations. the only way to know is to try it both ways. the one that is louder suggests better combining of waves. some systems work better "normal". some work better "reverse". one is not better than the other. give it a try both ways.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorror /forum/post/18135097

Have you tried running REW on both subs?

Not yet man, I havent been to RS to pick up a meter yet.. Im hoping to get one this week, hopefully to figure out what the issue is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rightbrained /forum/post/18135101

My Marantz receiver set my THT at 35 feet and my mains at 12 ( which is correct for them). I have moved mine around the listening room and the performance has been good in all locations .

Yea I just hope somethings not messed up on the inside.. Its kind of a bummer cuz I can hear the thing has huge potential, but somethings just not right

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 /forum/post/18135134

then that is rising up the list of possible problems. a sealed has pretty much no delay because the woofer is right on front of the enclosure. the horn, however, has a driver that is buried 15 feet or so inside a tube. that 15 (i'm not sure if it is 15 or 14 or whatever) will create a huge delay in the time before the sound enters your room. if the delay from the length of the sub is inversely matched to your mains, your bass will cancel out.

one test may be to try running your sub without your mains. then, turn on your mains and see if the bass goes away when you turn your mains on/up.

it is a sledgehammer approach. ideally, phase would be dialed in, but a 180 degree flip should be 'good enough' to avoid cancellations. the only way to know is to try it both ways. the one that is louder suggests better combining of waves. some systems work better "normal". some work better "reverse". one is not better than the other. give it a try both ways.

I gotta hook up my surrounds and Ill run the MCACC calibration with the mic I got with my pioneer 819 receiver, then Ill test again trying the phase controls

Hopefully nothings wrong on the inside.. I really think ( hoping actually ) I can get it worked out, Im gonna pul the access panel off again and see if there are any leaks .. The only spot i think it could possibly be leaking from is the baffle where the inserts are.. I think I tightened them down pretty good but didnt want to over do it cuz of the stories I heard about ppl stripping them out.. I compressed the speaker gasketing about at least 1/8 to 3/16 of an inch, so it "should" be tight ..

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Another thing, I dont know if this has anything to do with my issue, But just playing around with the DMM and this ohms law calculator @ 1-2 volts Im giving it like 1 watt, and it sounds full and deep, and clearly audible, thinking that 28V is out of the picture to even try, but when I turn it up, it gets up to 24-26 volts ( playing some custom Phil collins
But doesnt get as loud as it should .. I dunno whats going on, im gonna try a few more things here

·
Registered
460 Posts
Well im sorry that your having these problems
shouldnt be this way...and having one...27v will make you want to run lol...there has to be something with the seal going on inside...i think your taking the right approach! keep us posted

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by snickel /forum/post/18135807

What do you have the crossover for the sub set to on your receiver?

I ve been switching it from 80/100 to test the differences... The crossover on the amp is about 5/8 ( since theres no #s Im assuming thats around 100, But its not that so much, as it is a nasty cancellation ...

Im taking the access panel off as im typing.. Talent huh
lol

Hard to tell if theres a leak somewhere playing this thing at 25 hz @ 25 volts... Everythings moving air lol

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by snickel /forum/post/18135865

I would not use the crossover on the sub, put it to the highest setting. Then use the receiver crossover.

Alright Ill just turn the crossover on the PE all the way up.. Im gonna hook up my surrounds, run MCACC calibration on my receiver, see if anything changes, then try adjusting the phase control on the amp to reverse... Who knows, Process by elimination I guess

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.