AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You know the old saying: "If they can put a man on the moon..." why can't they take the best attributes of that XDR-F1HD tuner repeat with the RAMBO front-end! and stuff that along with the fm stereo dsp processing into a car stereo incarnation of the same. Every time I look at that technical review I ponder as to why I only have one of these things at work to pull in an otherwise impossible HD-2 signal with rabbit ears inside an RF-hostile factory, and not have one at home to play around with. That much said, the two areas where this tuner excels in, would provide the ultimate in FM signal handling. I've always HATED forced mono blending and the progressive "hi cut/soft muting" of weak stereo signals as well. Everyone's afraid of a little noise so rather than water down processable signals, why not take the best tuner on the planet and employ it in a mobile design for better FM stereo handling. Let's face it we'll always have to deal with where HD recovery gives up, so allow for the best analog signal processing of what's left of a fringe signal while in a mobile environment. Anybody here friends with Sony engineers? Write this down on a napkin for me for the next time you share a lunch!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I appreciate the fact that Sony has pre-established mobile options, but I WASN'T thinking along the lines of a "trunk wart" option. My "Moon shot" required that they stuff the "steriodally-enhanced" tuner into the same 1 din chassis as JVC has done along with other manufacturers. The XDR-F1HD guts are indeed proven solid performing and the notion of attempting to "air drop" THAT circuitry into one of their "Swiss Army knife" head units, would indeed be the only thing that would deserve my attention and possible accolade.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I'm with you, afw. I have an FM station I love that's about 90 miles away, and when I'm in my car, I'm always at the mercy of the atmospheric conditions as to whether or not I get it. At my office with an FM antenna and a nice old Onkyo tuner, I get it 95% of the time.

If Sony made an in-dash receiver with the same kind of sensitivity and selectivity as the XDR-F1HD, I would buy it in a heartbeat.

By the way, maybe Damon knows... Does that add-on HD module from Sony have that? I happen to have a Sony deck in my car right now, and I'd add this one on if it did. But the FM specs I see for it aren't anything special.

·
Registered
49 Posts
It seems like the XT-100HD is an add-on that's compatible with certain Sony car radios; there's a plug connection. There should be a list on Sony's site for the compatible radios.

Yeah, the XDR-F1HD's chipset is really powerful and ought to be the core of a really great car radio, even if just analog-only. I think it portends a new wave of DSP-based radio chipsets--I just don't keep up with car radios even though my truck radio is sort of dying and needs a good replacement. I'm really waiting to see if Sony comes out with a serious 'audiophile' tuner.

Sony (and others) may be waiting for the shoe to drop on both consumer acceptance and the planned power boost for IBOC HD Radio. A HD-only station at full analog power could have remarkable range, but I don't see that happening in the near future, if at all.

·
Registered
104 Posts

Quote:
Yeah, the XDR-F1HD's chipset is really powerful and ought to be the core of a really great car radio, even if just analog-only.

It really should. Unfortunately, no one cares about car radio performance anymore. Those of us who do (all my sports stations are about 100 miles away) are too few and far between to matter.

A few years ago, Blaupunkt had some Digiceiver models that digitized the signal and claimed 6 dbf sensitivity, but they only make one model with that technology anymore, and the one they do make is very expensive. I never tried one, but I wonder how it compared to what Sony has done.

BTW, I have a XDR-F1HD on order and should get it tomorrow. Can't wait.
I don't even care about the HD part -- I just want the excellent sensitivity and selectivity.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts