AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm seeing the occasional rainbow on my new W1000, and I never saw them on my HD1000. I'm wondering why, because they both are supposedly a 4x speed. Projector Central has no speed listed for the W1000. Has anyone seen in writing that the W1000 has a 4x speed? Maybe it's a 3X speed like the Vivitek. I remember a few years ago, the Benq 6200(I think) was advertised as a 4x speed, but it turned out to be 3X. I wonder if Benq did it again.

·
Registered
23,188 Posts
Could be. If somebody has one of the Casio cameras that will record at 1000 frames-per-second they should be able to figure it out. I have one and if anybody has a BenQ W1000 in the Seattle area I could possibly take a video to see how fast the colorwheel is.

--Darin

Reactions: Ericglo

·
Registered
412 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC /forum/post/18154842

I'm seeing the occasional rainbow on my new W1000, and I never saw them on my HD1000. I'm wondering why, because they both are supposedly a 4x speed. Projector Central has no speed listed for the W1000. Has anyone seen in writing that the W1000 has a 4x speed? Maybe it's a 3X speed like the Vivitek. I remember a few years ago, the Benq 6200(I think) was advertised as a 4x speed, but it turned out to be 3X. I wonder if Benq did it again.

I just tried one out and returned it. I think you might be right. I used the own a PE7700 with a 5X color wheel and I've seen older projectors with 2x color wheels. The W1000, to my eye, was closer to the 2x models I've seen then it was to my PE7700.

I might actually try out the optoma hd20, which I think has a true 4x color wheel , and several users have claimed that the hd20 has significantly fewer rainbows than the w1000....darn shame

·
Registered
7,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, I'm confused by this. I'm going to be pissed if it turns out it's less than 4X speed. The 3X speed of the Vivitek is why I didn't even consider it. I called Benq today about this, and was told to call back tomorrow to talk to a certain tech guy.

·
Registered
412 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC /forum/post/18156793

Yes, I'm confused by this. I'm going to be pissed if it turns out it's less than 4X speed. The 3X speed of the Vivitek is why I didn't even consider it. I called Benq today about this, and was told to call back tomorrow to talk to a certain tech guy.

I'm not sure it really matters what they say as it could be some slower version of 4x vs. the optoma, but best wishes either way. I'm looking at all the LCD options now.

·
Registered
125 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohcello /forum/post/18157101

I'm not sure it really matters what they say as it could be some slower version of 4x vs. the optoma, but best wishes either way. I'm looking at all the LCD options now.

I just purchased an Epson 8100 today. In the process of setting it up now. Will let you know what I think of it compared to my 7700.

·
Registered
412 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clskinsfan /forum/post/18157126

I just purchased an Epson 8100 today. In the process of setting it up now. Will let you know what I think of it compared to my 7700.

Thanks man. I have to admit I'm a bit scared off by organic panels, but maybe I'm worrying too much =)

·
Registered
7,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohcello /forum/post/18157101

What do you mean "some slower version of 4X ?"

·
Registered
19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC /forum/post/18154842

Jim, My guess is that BenQ is aware of the rainbow "problem" and that is the reason for the lack of professional reviews. The projector companies usually send out a a few loaner projectors for a short time to be reviewed by professionals in the hopes of receiving some favorable reviews.

It just seems odd that typically when rainbows are discussed, the statistic mentioned is that rainbows affect about 5% of people. Now I am not sure where the 5% comes from, but almost everyone on AVS that has/had a W1000 has seen rainbows while viewing the projector.

If this is the true, we may never see a review of the W1000 by Art.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC /forum/post/18156793

That would be very disappointing. I'm anxious to see what their answer is going to be...

·
Registered
7,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It looks like bad news. I just got off the phone with Benq, and he checked and said the color wheel speed is 7200 RPM. I then asked if that translates to 3X or 4X and he put me on hold again. Then he came back and said it's a 2X speed. Does that seem right? 6 segment at 7200RPM? If it is 2X speed, that's sure false advertising. On their website, under Features/Brilliant Color, it says "high speed 6 segment color wheel". 2X is NOT high speed. And if I wanted to return it to Projector People, I can't because I have more than 10 hours on the bulb. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
23,188 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC /forum/post/18162673

It looks like bad news. I just got off the phone with Benq, and he checked and said the color wheel speed is 7200 RPM. I then asked if that translates to 3X or 4X and he put me on hold again. Then he came back and said it's a 2X speed. Does that seem right? 6 segment at 7200RPM? If it is 2X speed, that's sure false advertising. On their website, under Features/Brilliant Color, it says "high speed 6 segment color wheel". 2X is NOT high speed. And if I wanted to return it to Projector People, I can't because I have more than 10 hours on the bulb. Any thoughts?

A 3 segment wheel spinning at 60 times per second is considered 1x. Since 60 times per second is 3600 RPM a 3 segment wheel spinning at 7200 RPM would be 2x. But if this is 6 segments as in red twice, blue twice, green twice, then 7200 RPM would be a 4x colorwheel.

Put another way, if the other information he gave you is correct then the wheel itself spins at 2x, but it has 2 sets of primaries and so is a 4x wheel.

If the wheel had segments for the secondary colors (yellow, cyan, and magenta) to make up the 6 segments (and so only 1 set of primaries) that would be another story, but I doubt that is the case.

--Darin

Reactions: Ericglo

·
Registered
7,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Stix2 posted that the color wheel was 4X, 6 segment: RYGCWB, but I don't know where he got that info. I can't find it on their website. All they have is this VERY MISLEADING info: "high speed 6 segment color wheel". It's under "Image Performance". And if it is 2X, that definitely is not "high speed". I never would have bought the W1000 if I knew it was 2X. If it is in fact a 2X speed, do I have any chance of returning it to Projector People, even though it has more than 10 hours on the bulb? Their policy says if it's more than 10 hours, it can only be returned if it's defective. Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
163 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC /forum/post/18163383

Stix2 posted that the color wheel was 4X, 6 segment: RYGCWB, but I don't know where he got that info. I can't find it on their website. All they have is this VERY MISLEADING info: "high speed 6 segment color wheel". It's under "Image Performance". And if it is 2X, that definitely is not "high speed". I never would have bought the W1000 if I knew it was 2X. If it is in fact a 2X speed, do I have any chance of returning it to Projector People, even though it has more than 10 hours on the bulb? Their policy says if it's more than 10 hours, it can only be returned if it's defective. Thanks for any advice.

Why don't you just reset the lamp hour count, and put a couple of hours before you send it back?

·
Registered
163 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC /forum/post/18163486

I don't think it's as easy as that, is it?

Manual, page 44, go to menu "System setup : advanced", Lamp setting, then "Reset lamp timer".

Simple enough ?

·
Registered
7,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yves /forum/post/18163639

Manual, page 44, go to menu "System setup : advanced", Lamp setting, then "Reset lamp timer".

Simple enough ?

I know it can be done. But there must be a way for them to know it's been reset. Am I right guys?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.