AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
No. Mind you, saying that, I do still listen to a 2 channel stereo system for the radio and sometimes, music. But, for TV and movies (streaming/blu-ray/DVD), no way would I ever go back to a 2.1 system, TV speakers or a soundbar. There's just no comparison to a full surround sound setup.

Reactions: Firewave15

·
Registered
289 Posts
All the time - when I'm not watching 7.1 movies and want to listen to music, I go 2ch streamer to my L/R (tubes).

But no, I wouldn't watch movies on anything less than 5.1... ;)

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have two rooms with nice setups Denon 3500h and 3600h receivers.

The 3600h is 5.1 and it’s great that’s the TV room with floor standing Polks, in the family room I did a passive 5.1 soundbar. It’s all at the soundbar no rear speakers. It’s fine for most uses. I

At our cabin I have a 2.1 soundbar. It’s nothing compared to either of these home systems.

Now to your question :) Before going with the passive soundbar I had a 2.1 system using Polk bookshelves. It was a pretty killer system and better than the passive soundbar but wanted something more discrete aesthetically.

True 5.1 to me is the minimum and honestly all that’s needed for good movie viewing experience.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The living room TV has a 2.1 sound bar in daily use. I'll only watch certain movies on it, though. Usually something like a low-key drama. Anything else, I go downstairs and watch on the big screen with full surround (soon to be atmos enabled).

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
92 Posts
I am doing a 3.1 right now for a family room/ future gaming room area. I can't do 7.1 because then I would not have a good reason to tell my wife that we need a dedicated theater room.

·
Registered
5.4.2 all sony
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

The 3600h is 5.1 and it’s great that’s the TV room with floor standing Polks, in the family room I did a passive 5.1 soundbar. It’s all at the soundbar no rear speakers. It’s fine for most uses. I

At our cabin I have a 2.1 soundbar. It’s nothing compared to either of these home systems.

Now to your question :) Before going with the passive soundbar I had a 2.1 system using Polk bookshelves. It was a pretty killer system and better than the passive soundbar but wanted something more discrete aesthetically.

True 5.1 to me is the minimum and honestly all that’s needed for good movie viewing experience.
The living room TV has a 2.1 sound bar in daily use. I'll only watch certain movies on it, though. Usually something like a low-key drama. Anything else, I go downstairs and watch on the big screen with full surround (soon to be atmos enabled).

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Wow thats alot of different areas lol i like the cabin

·
Registered
60 Posts
I went from a 5.1 to 2.1 when we moved last year. I was Initially quite surprised how little I miss the full 5.1. I think for me a fair bit of this was offset by the difference in quality between my older 5.1 and new 2.1 system.

This is a family room though not a dedicated theater room. Also, I do miss the surrounds enough that I'm going back to 4.1 once I get some wall mounts made for the surrounds.

The nice thing about moving down is you can start small with the 2.1 and add speakers as you feel the need over time.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I go backwards every time I watch TV in the family room or bedroom. Just TV speakers...not even a decent soundbar. :)
Same here for the bedroom. The wife tolerates having a TV in there, but she put her foot down on any type of soundsystem. Which is actually fine for bedtime, early morning, or sickbed viewing. So surprisingly agreed she was right. Lol

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
We use 9.1.6 in HT and 2.1 soundbar in the lounge.

We only use the lounge for news/YouTube as the sound difference unsurprisingly is spectacular.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
You only got one subwoofer ?
Correct, the room isn't very big after all and thanks to placement/room treatment it is doing quite well. I may go down the route of multiple subs at a later date but before then the HT will move to a HTP-1 and Dirac Live so it may not be required at all at that stage.

·
Registered
5.4.2 all sony
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Correct, the room isn't very big after all and thanks to placement/room treatment it is doing quite well. I may go down the route of multiple subs at a later date but before then the HT will move to a HTP-1 and Dirac Live so it may not be required at all at that stage.
Oh... yeaaa having 9 speakers would take up alot of space i guess lol is the sub you have pretty strong ?

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Oh... yeaaa having 9 speakers would take up alot of space i guess lol is the sub you have pretty strong ?
Check the link in my signature to read all about it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts