AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was talking to a friend today about using the Replay. He made the comment that Replay/Tivo commercials seem to always focus on "Hey, You can pause live TV!" We both ask the question "Why would you watch live TV once you get a PVR?"

With that in mind I thought we could come up with some commercial ideas for DNNA. If you're feeling creative, think of whatever is the hot item that you love about the Replay and give us a scenario.

Here's a couple of quick ones:

1. Kid is moaning about going to grandma's house where their will be nothing to do and they missed their show while on the road to grandma's. Only to arrive and find out it is half way over but they can start watching it from the beginning cuz grandma recorded it.

2. Two or three couples out and one guy is complaining to his spouse about getting home to catch a show/game/whatever. Somehow they comment that "You don't see Joe whining. He can live without his TV." Then you flash over to Joe at home starting to watch the show on the Replay.

3. Obvious ones with tape breaking and someone missing a show or not finding a tape in time to record or taping over the wedding video, etc.

Any more?

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
good ones. I like #2 the best. #3 doesn't work so well because nor many people actually use their VCR daily or regularly to tape their fave shows. i don't know anybody who does it.

do they actually have replaytv commercials airing now? isn't it ironic that we likely won't see replaytv commercials if they start airing? we'll just skip 'em or FF through.

·
Registered
230 Posts
That's ok, I think we should be exempt from any viewing any commercial for products/movies that we've already bought/seen.

Obviously, with ReplayTVs, we're exempt from all commercials, but still.... :)

-AmoebaMan

·
Registered
371 Posts
Well.... if they didn't rip out the best feature of RTV in the new models (Commercial Advance), a great commercial would be 30 seconds of a black screen with white letters that say, "If you had ReplayTV, you wouldn't be forced to stare at this useless commercial."

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by antnjen
"If you had ReplayTV, you wouldn't be forced to stare at this useless commercial."
That's Great! :)

Or how about a scenario where the cable goes out again (in an apartment building) and all the neighbors head downstairs to the person with the 20 hours of shows on their Replay?

Or headed out of town on business. Last thing you do at work before shutting laptop down is log onto MyReplayTV.com and add a few items to your schedule?

·
Registered
429 Posts
Hilarious! I was just thinking about this the other night.

My idea was to show different people using their now defunct VCRs for other stuff (doorstops, footwarmer, clock (that one is the best because the guy would have it on his mantle and it would still be flashing 12:00)).

The other idea was have a "spokesperson" standing in front of the TV picture. Show them pausing, rewinding, fast-forwading, skipping, etc.

Once people see what a PVR actually *DOES* they think it's awesome.

(In fact, I just sold one to a person who visited my apartment.)

·
Registered
971 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bobcrane
Or how about a scenario where the cable goes out again (in an apartment building) and all the neighbors head downstairs to the person with the 20 hours of shows on their Replay?
THAT has happened to us more than once! We have DirecTV, and asa you know, Chicago Snow storms and rains storms can unexpectedly knock out Satellite reception. Simply having lots of good content recorded makes those times MUCH more fun!
Quote:
Or headed out of town on business. Last thing you do at work before shutting laptop down is log onto MyReplayTV.com and add a few items to your schedule?
This amazes people all the time. MyReplayTV.com has been very valuable.

As for commercials, I agrree that simply pausing live TV isn't enough. I would love to se something like these:

1. "Man, there's nothing on TV." "Well, if you had a ReplayTV, we would be able to watch all of your favorite shows whenever we want."

2. Family arrives home late and Dad is pissed because he is missing the ballgame. But Mom reminds him that he recorded it on ReplayTV, so all he has to do is rewind back to the beginning and watch WHILE IT'S STILL RECORDING.

3. College guys are sitting around a TV watching a ballgame and one of the guys says, "He'll never make that play." Another guy says "Oh yea, I'll bet you $20.00 he makes it." The players make the play and the first guy ponies up the $20.00" At half time, they all go into the kitchen to get something to eat, while the second guy stays behind and hits "return to live"...

·
Registered
653 Posts
I posted about this on a another thread just today, but I will flesh out my idea here.

Have a split screen. with a small clock stradiling both sides of the split screen showing like 7:53, as the ad runs the clock moves up past like 8:20

One sides shows a mom frantically running around, cleaing up dishes, getting kids into bed, while the husband yells from the living room "the show is starting".

On the other side you see a mom doing the smae sthings but calmly, kissing her kids etc. and then at 8:20 goes into the living room where the husband says "ready to watch the show?", and she says "later, now I want something funny, what do we have" and he brings up the Replay guide.

What do you think?

I also give ReplayTV and DNNA full rights to use my idea at will for their ads without giving me any credit or money! But not TIVO, if TIVO uses this I will sue them!! :D :D (I figure they need this since taco bell just lost a suit over their ads)

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Here's my idea: Make fun of TiVo fanatics (all in good fun, of course). Call it "GiZmO".

* Shot of person playing with their GiZmO doll

* Shot of person in darkened room, lit only by the TV, smiling happily to the "click-click" sounds that GiZmO makes.

* People using "GiZmO" as a verb ("Did you GiZmo that? I'm GiZmOing that right now.")

* A screen full of GiZmO auto-recorded programs, such as "Escape From Monkey Island 4" and "Local Access Program #23".

Message: Be different. Get a get a digital recorder that works like you do.

Okay, here's a question:

Who would you like to see as a celebrity spokesperson in a string of commercials for ReplayTV?

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Denis Leary comes to mind.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How bout Ozzy?

"Sharon, the #$&*#$& VCR is blinking twelve again!"

"Remember dear, we've got the Replay now. And it is set to grab anything that has Ozzy in the title."

"Oh.... right."

Replay, so simple, even Ozzy Osbourne can use it.

I think any commercial involving a blinking 12:00 in the background would be a relate able experience.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Not that I ever want this to happen to me, but:

- Man sitting on the living room couch watching a game on TV while woman is heard in the kitchen cleaning.

- Woman peeks around the corner and asks if the man can give her a hand.

- Man replies something to the effect of "Not now, the game is tied and the (insert team name here) are about to score. I can't miss this."

- Woman calmly walks out into the living room, picks up the Replay remote, pauses the game and says "You won't miss a thing. Now get your a$$ in the kitchen and give me a hand or you won't be getting any for the next week."

That last line might need to be revised a little, but you get the point.

It can be done with the roles reversed and the woman watching Oprah or some such thing... Or, since that survey/article a few months ago said that gays/lesbians are early adopters...

Quote:
Who would you like to see as a celebrity spokesperson in a string of commercials for ReplayTV?
Perhaps a comedian with some credibility... Ben Stiller?

Just please, please, please...

- no Howie/Terry or Ving/Vanessa radio shack style ads

- NO Carrot Top or anyone else who has whored themselves on any collect call commercial

- No Olsen twins (even if they are almost legal)

Maybe Anna Kournikova, Alyssa Milano or Jaime Presley (ok, so these may not be the best spokesperson choices and the latter two have appeared in collect call commercials, but I LIKE seeing them ;))

·
Registered
390 Posts
Quote:
How bout Ozzy?

Even funnier would be his wife, reminding him that they don't have a VCR anymore and hes looking at the microwave.

Would make the tagline even funnier.

Replay, so easy, even Ozzy can use it.

LOL :)

TimT

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by t_tringle
Even funnier would be his wife, reminding him that they don't have a VCR anymore and hes looking at the microwave.

Would make the tagline even funnier.

Replay, so easy, even Ozzy can use it.

LOL :)

TimT

See, Fox Valley folks know funny! :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
One of the best PVR commercials was already done. Anyone remember the UltimateTV one where the guy is watching the game and his wife comes in the room to talk to him. Instead of ignoring her or blinding saying "yeah" (like we all have), he pauses the live TV, reassuringly listens to her and then resumes the game after she has left. THAT was a classic!!!

I, however, would have to have kids in my commercial. I don't know how anyone with kids is able to watch live tv. It still takes me an hour to watch an hour show. I have just replaced watching commercials with (insert kid situation here).....changing diapers, settling wrestling matches, getting popsicles -- one for me too!

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
As a new dad, I can say my attitude toward replayTV has changed since the litte guy came along.

Before the feeling was replay is cool, I can still go out with the guys or on a date and not have to think about what's on TV.

Now that I'm a dad, the replay has a whole new dimension... a great way to kill time while doing things like watching a baby eat one meal over an hour and then to repeat the task another couple of hours later. Commercial skip was a great feature for those without free hands, I was always a 2-jump kind of guy until I had no free hands.

There are a few things you have to think about when marketing to the masses. It's not marketing to the techy geeks, lesbians and gays, these folks "get it". You want the bulk of the bell curve. Single and just out of college folks, with a new job and money to burn.... The family group is the other big market. The older demographic loves PVRs, I think almost every parent in thier 40-60's that have a PVR they LOVE them.

You've got to find a common thread or two.The young folks wanting to get home for "the show", "the game" or just "the couch". Nothing can be done for "the couch" group... The family folks, with little ones and still wanting to watch your show even though your life isn't yours anymore. The home bodies, they don't need a PVR, they're at home all the time ready to watch TV....

So either commercials of friends getting together for a sporting event or dinner out while others are stuck at home so they can catch "the show". There are lots of things that can be done with this, the trick... make it a bit over the edge so you get people talking.

With the parents running around, juggling two kids, getting food ready, baby is crying wanting to story read to them, baths, homework, etc.

Something like... having a baby? Let me give you some helpful advice... You'll need one of these, trust us, you'll NEED one. You can't live without it. Go through a list of items and end up with the replayTV.

Let's be honest... It's only TV. But YOU can't live without it.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Quote:
How bout Ozzy?

"Remember dear, we've got the Replay now. And it is set to grab anything that has Ozzy in the title."

"Oh.... right."

Replay, so simple, even Ozzy Osbourne can use it.

Absolutely Genius!!!!!! I think Ozzy is about the most perfect spokesperson for ReplayTV. Even those that don't watch the show at least heard about the "remote control" incident - the day after that episode aired it was all everyone was talking about at work. Somebody get in touch with DNNA and make them do this immediately - cause if they don't TIVO will.

-em

·
Registered
712 Posts
That Ozzy commercial would win it at the superbowl in my opinion. It doesn't necessarily say what the product IS or DOES... but EVERYONE would be talking about it the next day. And isn't that what a commercial should do?

I don't think DNNA or Tivo wouldn't need permission to use any of these. If someone were to go to DNNA and pose to them an advertising campaign about Ozzy for profit, then DNNA would need to pay for that idea. But these ideas are given to the public domain. Aren't they?

Even funnier would be the shows that Ozzy decided to record in his "Ozzy" folder.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dyker

I don't think DNNA or Tivo wouldn't need permission to use any of these. If someone were to go to DNNA and pose to them an advertising campaign about Ozzy for profit, then DNNA would need to pay for that idea. But these ideas are given to the public domain. Aren't they?
Nope. You are still protected by copyright. Any thing that you create and is in some kind of permanent form is automatically protected. The interesting thing about these boards is that each individual post is copyright to the individual, but the compilation is under the copyright of AVS.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
I should add that to REALLY be protected it has to be relatively unique. For example, I can't just post the word "the" and expect to be covered by copyright and then sue anybody else that uses "the".

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.