AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know many of you, like me, love HD DVD to death but are getting bored and antsy waiting to hear the next official and significant title announcement (with dates) from a Hollywood studio.

So let's do here what has often been done on other boards while counting down a console launch. Instead of counting down though, we'll be "counting up" - counting the days til we see some kind of significant announcement for new titles (hopefully at least more than 1 is announced at the same time). Then when the day occurs, we'll celebrate here, discuss the titles in question, and have the mod close this - so we can then make a new thread starting the process over. Then maybe/hopefully, one day, the HD DVD studios will announce so many titles far in advance - that's we'll see no need to do this.

Meanwhile, while waiting (for said next announcement) we post little pictures representing the number of days gone by til announcement, ask questions regarding HD DVD that we can all answer, talk BS, commiserate together, post other pics/junk, and anything else you want to say/do to past the time.

Hopefully people aren't violently opposed to this idea. I want to note too that I'm not making this original post here to suggest anything negative or create doom and gloom - I'm happy with HD DVD and all is well, just looking forward to hearing about new titles is all. (if others want to say negative/whatever here though within this thread, that's fine though - free speech in a silly thread, all good)

Okay, so I'll start:

-----------------------

Jan 16th - day 1

Question of the day: What one or two rumored (i.e. realistically coming soon) title/s do you want to see next?

-----------------------

Feel free to post similiar "day number" art or whatever else you like....and thanks!

-

-

·
Registered
210 Posts
Matrix Trilogy...RIGHT NOW

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover2002 /forum/post/0

A-uno

^^^LOL! Multi-tasking it can! Hey, I consider that a plus - my Oppo can't do that.

Here's some more "number" things:

^^^Though, I don't need to see that one anytime soon. (but would love more Jet Li movies - a good, uncut & subbed version of "Fist of Legend" is long over-due...)

BTW, to answer my own question: I'd like to see either Eraser or Infernal Affairs next (will Weinstein be able to release this?!). Then maybe Seven or Twister. I say these mainly because they are movies that I haven't seen or owned even on SD for a long time...

-

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronicle-Rod /forum/post/0

Probably a bad idea. With a console launch, you're counting down to something - growing in excitement. With this, you're doing the opposite. Every day without an announcement creates more tension and animosity.

LOL, maybe, - but I'm going stir-crazy without anything else to look at or post to on these boards. I swore to myself recently that I would ignore all threads that relate to or devolve into something about the format/videogame wars. I'm not even gonna think about "the wars" any more period - but rather just enjoy and anticipate my upcoming movies/games.

Hey, the good news is that once something is announced it will feel like a nice release/relief and hopefully be bittersweet for the waiting, anticipating. And the best news would be an announcement/s coming quickly, and proving threads like this useless. Plus, maybe, competitive studio heads will see this and then start tripping over each other to announce something first (yeah, right
).

The other thing is that - I'm not sure if I would even make a thread like this unless "the wait" hadn't dragged on a bit already. Starting this thread now (after not having gotten any release date news yet for a while) means that it is more likely that we will hear something soon - and thus be able to relax/celebrate sooner.

-

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Well besides some mentioned here how about Eraser & L. A. Confidential on HD-DVD. These were released in 1997-98 and never got another edition.

Twister would be a hoot in HD too. All those early Warner Bros dvd titles from back in the day....

Twister
Outbreak (also never got a 2nd edition)
ArthurThe Pelican Brief (original disc is a flipper for crying out loud
)
3 Amigos.....God awful transfer.
Doc Hollywood (foooooool screen too. )
The Music Man is due for a nice HD release too...

Forget about any kind of IME...just a nice HD transfer please.

Big Fat Liar from Universal...released in 2002 in full screen only.

I'm sure I'll think of more later. Sorry for the long list.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:

I'd like to see The Protector on HD-DVD, though it might already have been announced.

I think this was rumored more so than anything - with not even sort of a semi-official announcement for it yet. Still though, seems like something that would get a release since we've seen Fearless, Kiss of the Dragon, Unleashed, etc come to high-def already. BTW, I have the Korean 2-disc SE SD version and it's amazing upconverted on A1 - plus, it's 100% uncut. Try to find that if this doesn't pan out - I'm not sure that the first HD version will be uncut.

Did BD get the director's cut/longer/more violent versions of the Transporter movies and Pearl Harbor? I thought maybe they didn't and that would be a shame if they did not...I really prefer those longer cuts a great deal...

-

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Glover /forum/post/0

Well besides some mentioned here how about Eraser & L. A. Confidential on HD-DVD. These were released in 1997-98 and never got another edition.

Yeah, God, can't wait for LA Confidential either. Can't believe I forgot about that one. I wanna see Russell Crowe snap that chair in half in HD right now. BTW, didn't these two releases only get the globally-hated, very ugly snapper cases too?! Yet, another reason for HD DVD re-release!!!

Quote:

I just watched Eraser the other day, and wow...would those crocs look terrible in HD

Ja, that's true...but maybe we'll get to hear Arnold say "You're luggage!" in TrueHD.

-

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hmm, also just realized that we should probably only "count" the days - or consider them here "officially" at least - on business days (when it is likely/sane for a studio to actually make an announcement). Obviously, typically, on weekend days/holidays - the studios couldn't even make an announcement if they wanted to. Most of of us already don't care or expect anything on non-business days anyway - and I'd like to avoid a thread like this turning angry/depressing until there is actually a decent reason for it to - like if 15 business days have actually gone by without anything announced/whatever.

-

·
Registered
681 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiable-Akuma /forum/post/0

^^^Though, I don't need to see that one anytime soon. (but would love more Jet Li movies - a good, uncut & subbed version of "Fist of Legend" is long over-due...)

-

I'm very surprised this hasn't yet gotten a DVD reissue - the original is so crappy, it's not even funny. I know alot of MA film fans would jump on a reissue - and in HD, it would be even better - if you combo it, I'd bet a few fans would spring for a player just for this film

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.