Quote:
Originally posted by woowoo
Wanna buy a Bridge?
ROTFLMAO:D

(Well it does say scheduled end.;)

·
Registered
545 Posts
Just as Lee had a countdown to the May 1 "all stations digital" landmark.

If Lee wants to be really amusing, he should have changed the message

from "100 days to go and 1000 stations still to convert" to 100 days SINCE

the deadline and 1000 stations to go, etc.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
With the high cost of conversion to digital, taken together with the Bushies wanting to charge a "squaters fee" to broadcasters who keep using their NTSC spectrum after 2006 (admittedly a novel approach towards pushing the transition), maybe Lee should work a $ figure in there somewhere!

·
Registered
983 Posts
Lee considered several options for continuing the countdown (non-commercial deadline, cable promise, Halley's Comet) and setttled on December 31, 2006 because every TV station's license or renewal says:

"...your application for renewal of license...is subject to the condition that on December 31, 2006, you surrender either your analog or your digital television channel for reallocation or reassignment pursuant to Commission Regulations. The channel retained by you will the used to broadcast digital television only after this date."

It seemed the only 'firm' deadline available and if cable systems begin carrying the DTV signals (~65% of TV households) and another 20% of homes can receive off-air reception, then the 85% trigger is met and analog can go away.

Lee

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Since only the OTA Broadcasters are going to have to change, no one else has any incentive to help the process along.

I've heard so many people say, "I won't have to stop watching my local stations. I'll just get them off satellite". Not to mention, "I'll get my local news off the internet, radio, etc". (Oh. Don't forget, "I've already got DIGITAL Cable!!!)

Now, if every monitor, satellite receiver, DVD player, and VCR had to ONLY interface with an RF 8VSB signal (rather than audio, video, and S-VHS), then we could have the proverbial "level playing field":) .

Added after morning engineering coffee-break/think-tank session:

Maybe our "doomsday clock" should say:

xxx DAYS UNTIL END OF OVER THE AIR TELEVISION. PLEASE PREPARE TO SWITCH TO SATELLITE OR CABLE TV.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Ken, if your station and all the other stations start now, you will have almost four years to depreciate your broadcast antenna equipment. I'm not sure what the life expectancy is of this equipment but a four year depreciation schedule is not too bad.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
I think at the same time we have a countdown for digital stations coming on board we should have a countdown of the number of cable co's retransmitting digital channels. Where are we at there? A handful down, a few hundred to go?

In a practical sense it doesnt really matter how many stations are on air since without that retransmission the vast majority of people will never be tuned into the digital channels anyway.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by stephenC
Ken, if your station and all the other stations start now, you will have almost four years to depreciate your broadcast antenna equipment. I'm not sure what the life expectancy is of this equipment but a four year depreciation schedule is not too bad.
Depreciation on $1,000,000+ cost of transmitters and antennas is generally 7 - 10 years and the useful life span is 20 -30 years.

·
Registered
545 Posts
From what I have read, Nxwave will do more for OTA TV than any

mandate. They are introducing self steering antennas along with

improved ATSC receiver chips. Having a small round antenna that

aims itself and would tolerate out the window and attic mounts would do

a lot towards making off the air viable again. NONE of that is possible with

NTSC (analog).

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Like I was saying, the only people who have to worry about a deadline are ANTENNA users who watch FULL-POWER tv stations. The FCC hasn't even told the LPTV people what to do yet!

No one else (cable subs, satellite subs) is going to lose anything.

BTW, we've been on the air with DTV since October 30, 1999. We started with almost full-power (we're only 3 dB below the max power we can go), and with a full digital path, including a fully-digital master control, and a fully-digital 16:9 widescreen news and local programming operation. We pass NBC HDTV programming, and a weekly HDTV show with 5.1 DD surround. We have one editor who purchased his own HDTV camcorder and editing system, who we are working with on several HD productions.

But, I still see "something wrong with this picture", not the HD, just the politics :) .

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Quote:
From what I have read, Nxwave will do more for OTA TV than any

mandate. They are introducing self steering antennas along with

improved ATSC receiver chips. Having a small round antenna that

aims itself and would tolerate out the window and attic mounts would do

a lot towards making off the air viable again. NONE of that is possible with

NTSC (analog).
How can one steerable antenna work in real life where you may have several tuners active simultaneously? For example, one or more HD TiVos busy recording while you are watching live TV. Each one would have to have its own antenna, and that would be a complete mess.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.