AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.

i've always been into audio equipment and great sound quality and stuff, but never got into the technical details of whats what. However, in my search for a newbie stereo receiver and some decent bookshelf speakers, my grandpa came heard about my hunt. Lucky for me, he's a huge scavenger and had a bunch of stuff he said he had collected and wasn't using and offered to give me a set up.

Below is what he gave me:

Two Celestion SL12 speakers with stands
Counterpoint Electionic Systems Inc. SA-1000 Dual Channel Hybrid Preamp (handcrafted in California)
Counterpoint Electionic Systems Inc. SA-12 Dual Channel Tube/Mosfet Power Amplifier

I got them set up and the sound is just face melting. Crystal clear, clean, with bass that's punchy but not overbearing. I'm loving it, but I don't think I can really appreciate it fully with just my newbie knowledge.

Can anyone fill me in on what it is I have here? Age? Value? Rare? Trash?
I'll be keeping them for a while since they're from my Grandpa to me and that in itself puts it above any price (also might be why they sound so good to me haha), so I'm just looking for some info. Thanks guys!

Attachments

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have a SA-7 tube preamp of theirs that I bought in 1985 IIRC. I think they made the hybrids a few years later than that. All of your tubes are OK then huh? Nice Grandpa you have, I would guess those Counterpoints were roughly $2000 each new (in 1980's currency besides)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts