AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
having a couple issues with my at all-in-wonder 8500. i'm just now sitting down to research the problem, but i figure i'd go ahead and ask on here and maybe someone will beat me to the solution.

first, when playing video on the pc i'm not getting the video on the tv. it's connected via s-video. everything else shows up on the screen, just not video. for example, if i have the video window and it's playing, you'll here sound, and you can see the box and everything, but it's just black where the video should be playing. kind of weird.

second, is there any app or setting you can change to force all audio, such as stereo(music) out on the digital coax/spdif port so i don't have to hook up the traditional left/right rca cables.

thanks for any insight.

·
Registered
109 Posts
My experiences with my lovely mofo'n 8500AIWDV make me think:

The video is not showing up on the TV due to a 'misconfig' of your monitors. I only had this problem with a monitor and TV running at the same time, and some specific config in the display settings/ATI drivers. I made a change (maybe to which monitor was primary, or the clone settings, something, I don't remember) and it works fine. The picture on the monitor is completely squished now for some reason, but I just use it to actually be able to read text....

The SPDIF output for TV...IF you have an Nforce board, you can force the audio to be come form the AIW card as data, and therefore get encoded into DD, if you turn on the PVR function. I have found no way to get the audio encoded without doing this.

If anyone else has been able to get an Nforce to encode into DD the audio stream from an AIW any other way, please, PLEASE, let me know.

-SR

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have an AIW 8500-DV and and Asus A7N8X-Deluxe and I have digital connections to my reciever. I don't think you can force ALL sound to the ATI spdif, just multimedia sounds comming from an ATI ap but not system dings.

Yurd's right, it probably has to do with the primary/secondary settings. My AIW defaulted to both being primary (?).

Yurd, I don't use the ATI SPDIF only the one on the nForce. You may have to start the windows mixer. Go into properties, advanced and make sure the spdif is selected.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the monitor config idea sounds right. i was looking around last night and i found a couple other pages that said basically the same thing, but i haven't tried it yet. will do so today.

as far as the audio thing i have yet to find a solid answer. i'll toy around with your idea's and see what i can come up with. thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by WMAMan
I have an AIW 8500-DV and and Asus A7N8X-Deluxe and I have digital connections to my reciever. I don't think you can force ALL sound to the ATI spdif, just multimedia sounds comming from an ATI ap but not system dings.

Yurd's right, it probably has to do with the primary/secondary settings. My AIW defaulted to both being primary (?).

Yurd, I don't use the ATI SPDIF only the one on the nForce. You may have to start the windows mixer. Go into properties, advanced and make sure the spdif is selected.

Hope this helps.
I don't use the ATI SPDIF either, I never even tried to figure out when it would output sound. I have the Nforce set to encode all sound into DD, but it won't encode anything that's coming over the Line-In or CD-Rom In and then back out. Does it work differently for you?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.