AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, been out of the loop for a couple years now. Just picked up a Sony NX810 tv today and a BR player. Been using an older Aquos and HD-DVD before that.

I just noticed the mono-price hdmi over cat5e/6 extenders. I did a search but pulled up little info on it. Bottom line- are they any good? I currently have a 1.3a cable ran from my onkyo 805 to my tv. Everything pumps into that. I have no problem with video to the tv with the ~20' run. I've been debating getting one of these extenders and putting it by my couch so I can plug my laptop into it and stream to the tv (although it seems like the new tv can do all that by itself). I would also consider pulling out my current cable to the tv and changing to cat6 from the onkyo to the tv if is worth it.

I cant find any info saying if the dual cat5/6 are as good as a single hdmi cable.

Also, it looks like my hdmi 1.3a stuff is fine for the BR player and that 1.4 is mostly needed for 3d viewing. Is this correct? The tv supports it, but I am not really interested in the 3d stuff for now. Also not looking to upgrade the receiver any time soon either.

Thanks for the help. I am out a couple years and so much changes.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Passive HDMI extenders, and apparently cable powered HDMI extenders, using Cat 5/6 cable work at best as well as a good HDMI cable, if not worse. It takes Cat 7 cable to approximate HDMI cable according to an application note I read from National Semiconductor. If you have to use Cat 5/6 extenders, go with ones that have their own power. Single cable devices seem to work better than dual cable ones. Reliable ones aren't cheap.

You should be fine if you don't do 3D. For 3D to the TV, I don't think it requires 1.4 specifically, just enough bandwidth in all the electronics in between the source and the TV. Of course, to decipher the audio in a 3D stream will require a 1.4 AVR.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cool, thanks for the info. didnt know cat7 was out already. I was stinging cat 6 in a building downtown 5 years ago. ran miles of it. had enough left over to run my house in it. now that is outdated already it seems lol. gotta love technology.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts