AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help me out. I've built a couple HTPCs and I'm having the same issue with my Onkyo receiver. I get garbled, slowed down audio. This isn't constant, it just happens sometimes, but not randomly (it's completley repeatable), and it happens with various sources; system sounds, sound tests, dvds, various video files (some with ac3 audio, some mp3.) This problem happens in vista and MCE 2005.

Now, previously I had a system with an Asus A7n8x deluxe and I used the digital coax out to my receiver. This worked great with MCE 2005, but my motherboard was giving me trouble and wasn't well supported in vista, so I thought i'd upgrade just a little.

So, small upgrade, AMD 64 3200+, with ECS K8M800-M2. This didn't have a digital out onboard, so I bought a Diamond Xtreme Sound 7.1 which had optical out, so i could hook it up to my switch (switch has been ruled out of the problem). System works great, does what I want it to, but it sounds like crap and is therefore a useless dvd player/media center as a whole.

I tried hooking up my older biostar ideq 210v which has onboard optical out and guess what? Same problem. This computer, however, operated fine if I used 2 channel audio and just the normal speaker jack paired with some computer speakers.

Could there be a problem with my receiver and optical in? I kind of doubt it since dvds and the cable box sound great through it.

Any idea why this would be happening? It's extremely frustrating.

Would I be better off buying a new sound card with digital coax? (in that case, want to buy a sound card?
).

That's not an ideal situation, because it would make switching inputs more complicated than it already is; my roommate already can't figure out how to turn stuff on.

I'd greatly appreciate any help.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Use the same opt cable connected to the same port on your receiver except connect it to a different source except your pc.

See if it sounds the same then.l

If you have tested the pc with a different audio output then you know the problem lies with the cable or your receiver, if it doesnt it must relate to some driver/software you may of installed on your pc.

I would then reccomend a re-install of windows.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.

I have connected the same optical cable and I only have one optical in. I have installed windows so many times; vista and xp and tried all sorts of drivers, but I still get this problem. However, when I send only a pcm signal, via spdif out to the receiver, I don't seem to have the problem. Of course, this isn't a solution, but would this mean that my receiver is perhaps having a problem decoding the dolby digital signal coming from my computer?

This seems strange, as my receiver has been able to do it just fine from my dvd player via optical and my old motherboard with digital coax.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Try a audio sampler program like ac3 filter,see if you can prompt it to work by changing some settings.

It may just be an issue with your sound card since the other audio works ok...maybe contact them about the issue.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I don't know what to think anymore. I played around with ac3 filter. I went and bought a new receiver and even a new sound card. Still the exact same problem. No idea what is going on. I've replaced everything. I should have just purchased a new computer by this point. The only thing that I can think of is that both computers I've tried it on have a via chipset on the motherboard, though, not the same one.

Anyone want to sell me a cheap HTPC? I really just want to archive and watch dvds with 5.1. Apparently that's too much to ask for

·
Registered
1,325 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ioaz /forum/post/0

...The only thing that I can think of is that both computers I've tried it on have a via chipset on the motherboard...(

Bingo!

I wouldn't ever consider a VIA chipset mobo for a HTPC.

This is not to say I know this is the reason of you problems, sorry.

Diogen.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
ioaz,

Do you happen to live in AZ? Phoenix? If so, you should bring your htpc over and we'll get to the bottom of your glitches.

First guess this is on the htpc audio decode from your source files - get your money back from the new receiver you bought.

- Steve O.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorch123 /forum/post/0

ioaz,

Do you happen to live in AZ? Phoenix? If so, you should bring your htpc over and we'll get to the bottom of your glitches.

First guess this is on the htpc audio decode from your source files - get your money back from the new receiver you bought.

- Steve O.

Thanks, unfortunately I'm all the way across the country in CT.

I still haven't been able to figure out what is going on, but I got an older nforce3 motherboard and I'm going to try that out sometime next week. If that doesn't fix anything, I guess I will just give up and maybe buy a pre-built one with cable card support sometime down the road.

On the plus side, I like the new receiver and have wanted one with internal optical and component switching. I also got a great deal on it, so I think I will actually hang on to it.

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
live and learn..... So for the rest of you reading this, VIA is BAD mmmm kkkk......

glad you got it fixed.

- Josh

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.