AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gonna be starting construction in a couple months and heres what I have. Right now my design is allowing for a room 22x19 with a 10 foot ceiling. Would this be good demensions for sound quality? I figure I'll drop the ceiling down about a foot or 2 with those ceiling tiles they use in office buildings. Will those have much affect on the sound at all? The 22' is unchangable but I could adjust the 19' to be smaller if there is a more ideal size. Let me know what you think.

Also, right next to the theater will be a small room that I am calling control room. Basically to house all the video equiptment. So in my theater there are 2 doors on the same wall, one is the entrance and one is the control room. These 2 doors are on the side of the theater. Doors shouldn't effect sound much right?

Last question, my room will have no windows. YAY!!!! But I feel like I should have another exit, an emergency exit. I think the inspector will enforce that. So, my options. Would you put a door that exits to the outside? Or should I have another exit that exits another part of the house.

Thanks for your opionions!

Johnny

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
I'd leave it at 22' x 19' x 10'.

I tried that, and 18.5', 18', 17.5', 17' at http://www.bobgolds.com/Mode/RoomModes.htm and all were worse than 19'.

Quote:
I figure I'll drop the ceiling down about a foot or 2 with those ceiling tiles they use in office buildings. Will those have much affect on the sound at all?
You can go as far as to have the entire 2 feet full with two layers of R30 (9.5" each, so 19" of fiberglass), or even rigid rockwool. Combined with a reflective floor (wood, tile) that will give lots of balanced absorbtion down to very low frequencies. This sort of thing needs some more thought about sound paths.

Quote:
These 2 doors are on the side of the theater. Doors shouldn't effect sound much right?
Left/right symmetry is desireable. I take it your 'control room', is not a projection booth.

Quote:
I feel like I should have another exit, an emergency exit. I think the inspector will enforce that.
If you want another exit, then put one in. Around here a window is required for fresh air for any 'dwelling unit' which is defined as a bedroom, and there are hallway and such requirements in the fire code. Once it is obviously not a bedroom, I can do what I want.

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
Leave as much ceiling height as you can. I wish mine was 10'.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Ditto to what bpape said. I have an 8' ceiling and when tall (6'0" or over) people stand on my riser (11") it puts them close enough to the ceiling that they instinctively "duck".

·
Banned
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies! Heres a rough drawing of the the floor plan so you can visualize. I'll be using a digital projector connected to a HTPC which will be in a seperate room called the control room. I think I'm going to put an exit in the control room which goes directly outside. Unless the inspector says I can't, we'll see. Let me know what you think and if theres any reason why this design will suck!

http://us.f3.yahoofs.com/users/42b1c...Jb5EDBkakGvV7h

(not sure why this comes up as a link instead of an image)

I also have an electrical question. When I have it wired up for electricity what should I tell the electrian to do? I figured the theater and control room would be a seperate circuit than anything else. Will this be ok or should I have multiple circuits, 1 for amps, 1 for lights, etc.

Any other tips? I just don't wanna get done some day and say CRAP! Why did I do it this way!?!?!?! :D

John

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.