AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My HT is a budge project all the way. I prefer to spend my cash on the proper acoustic treatments now since the gear, fixtures, and accessories are replaceable.

Accordingly, I just came up with two pretty good DIY ideas and thought I'd get some comments or input.

1. Wall sconces. I really wanted something distinct, not just the HD paintable ceramic things. Most of the unique wall sconces ran upwards to $100.00 and more. Sollution - take a piece of galvenized flashing 18-24" long and punch a design it (I'm going to try stars and/or movie reels probably) with a hammer and punch-set. Fold the galvenized in a semi-circle and bend the ends inward (to mount on the wall). Put an inexpensive light fixture on the wall (even a two bulb fixture) and voila - your own unique sconce for less than $15.00.

I saw very similar sconces at a store called Anteks here in KC and it was a cool effect.

2. cable management in the equipment closet. This may not be so much a money saver as it is a good idea. In my DIY flush mount rack (thanks Jim Mc), I'm going to put a 2" PVC conduit painted black in the back of the closet running from top to bottom with 2"-3" nothces every 8-10" or so. Both runs from outside the closet, as well as interconnects will be hidden on their way to other equipment. This is very similar to the cable management systems used by most a/v rack manufacturers. Not exactly rocket science, but a good idea nonetheless.

Hope these help someone, as I feel like I generally take a lot more from this board than I contribute!

patrick

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.