AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Expecting delivery of a brand new spanking 65lb newborn Panasonic th-42phwd5uz from Dell in a few days (about $3600 delivered to Hawaii including stand - thanks for all the negotiating tips by the way). Ready to set up audio for this puppy when I found the detachable speakers (ty-sp42pwd3w) at Sears for $299. My questions are: 1) will these speakers work on my display? I ask because Sears carries the older 4uz model and I am not sure if last years speakers will work or fit on this years display; 2) this seems like a pretty low price in comparison to the $450 to $600 range I see on the internet. Have prices fallen or is Sears way off in their pricing?; and 3) are these speakers OK until I decide on an adequate audio system. I'm afraid I spent so much time researching displays, that now I find myself woefully ignorant about audio. Thanks for your responses in advance, and if you have any other tips for a proud parent of a panny newborn, let me know.

-- Aloha

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
The way I read the Sears ad that ran here, this price is for each of the speakers, i.e., $598 for the pair. This would be consistent with the "Sears Low Price" quoted for the Panasonic wall mount of $600, about five times its value, and their "gouge 'em good" required "installation" fee of $500+.

AFAIK, these speakers will fit the 5uz's OK. However, unless you absolutely, positively must have these speakers for appearance' sake, they are probably overpriced, even at $300.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's odd. I spoke to two salespersons at two separate Sears stores and the $299 quote was for a set of speakers, not just one. At the time I had no idea what the list price was so I didn't think much of it. FYI, Sears doesn't require the $500 delivery set-up charge, I was told they can deliver the display for $65 with no se-up. Again, I heard this from two separate Sears stores when I was comparing models last week. Could be misinformation or a local thing.

-- Aloha

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by zurf
That's odd. I spoke to two salespersons at two separate Sears stores and the $299 quote was for a set of speakers, not just one. At the time I had no idea what the list price was so I didn't think much of it. FYI, Sears doesn't require the $500 delivery set-up charge, I was told they can deliver the display for $65 with no se-up. Again, I heard this from two separate Sears stores when I was comparing models last week. Could be misinformation or a local thing.

-- Aloha
Must be a local thing. I asked my Sears in Lansing, MI and they insisted that the $500 delivery fee was mandatory, and they wont price match delivery fees.

As far as the speakers go, they will probably fit, but at least if you buy them local, you can return them to sears. I do agree with Steuert though, can't imagine spending so much for a display without putting some cash into a nice 5.1 sound system. Especially if you will be getting HDTV signals or watch a lot of DVD's.

·
Registered
698 Posts
The speakers will fit.The 4uy and the 5uy are exactly the same(except for a few things inside).$298 is a really good deal for the pair.Alot of people like them for watching news and regular tv.Buy them,if you don't like them take them back. You must get a good 5.1 setup for movies and dvds. bm

·
Registered
64 Posts
Zurf,

Thanks for the info. Thats a killer price. I was just going to order them through dell for about $500. I checked the sears website and it says (2) not each...so it may fly. (see link below). I will be using the Plasma upstairs for casual viewing...so the panny speakers are perfect.

http://www.sears.com/sr/product/summ...id=05775522000

PS - In the Seattle area, sears also Requires Plasma installs at about $500...so it must be a hawaii thing

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I went to sears b&m with a hardcopy from sears.com of the $299 price for the panasonic speakers (sears# 75522 - panasonic# ty-sp42pwd3w). The sears rep was confused because he found a $299 price and a $599 price in his system and in his pricebook. The $299 models were not in stock, but the $599 model was. He called the panasonic rep who told him the $299 price is the new price for the new speaker model which is unavailable and cannot be ordered at this time. Only the $599 model was available.

Unfortunately, the panasonic rep was unwilling to reduce the price of the old $599 model, but after he hung up, the sears manager gave the OK, so I bought the speakers for $299.

I don't know if there is a substantial difference in the upcoming models to warrant this supposed price reduction or if Panasonic decided the price needed adjustment. Who knows.

I asked the sears rep if they would change the $599 price in their system and he said probably not. I asked what would happen if someone else wanted the $299 price and he said it would probably depend on the sears manager. Someone may want to order these online and see what happens. They cannot be ordered online from Hawaii otherwise I may have tried it myself.

Now it's time to look for a more DVD-worthy audio system. Hope this helps someone.

-- Aloha

·
Registered
112 Posts
As far as Sear's "mandatory $500" delivery and installation service goes, is this actually legal in the US? Can they mandate you buy "B" if you are there to buy "A"? This seems like false advertising or "bait and switch" to me because when I was at Sears, they showed the plasma with a price tag on it. There is no price or description of this mandatory service on display with the plasma. Has anyone raised this issue with the BBB? Of course I bought my plasma from visual Apex anyways, but inquiring minds want to know...

Greg

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
It is certainly "legal," just as a delivery charge for a stove or refrigerator would be, even though it is not necessarily listed on the store price tag. However, whether it is ethical to extort a $500 charge for "installation" (i.e., delivery and setup on a table) is another question. Something like the online stores that low-ball you with their listed price, then charge $350 or $400 for "shipping and handling" that should cost $50.

I have always had a fair amount of confidence in Sears as an honest retailer, but greed seems to have gotten the better of them as far as marketing plasmas is concerned. In the case of a 42" Panasonic, they start with a price about $1400 higher than their online competitors (which, BTW, they refuse to equal despite their much ballyhooed "price match" policy); then to add insult to injury they tack on this phony $500 installation charge.

Somehow, I'm not surprised that the $299 speakers they advertised are "unavailable and cannot be ordered," although they just happen to have some in stock at twice the price. What a coincidence!

·
Registered
112 Posts
I guess in my mind there is a difference from the refrigerator analogy. If I buy a plasma from Sears, my intention is to walk out of the store with TV in hand and do the installation myself. I'm not asking to buy their service that others are claiming is "mandatory". Had I bought from Sears I would not expect to pay for this service. For the refrigerator case, they would tell me their delivery charge and I would either accept it or bring in a truck and haul the frig my self. Its just the "mandatory" nature of their installation service that has me questioning this practice. I agree it is unethical, but I also think it may be (should be) illegal to force me to buy a service along with the product. If they showed the price of the plasma including this service, that would be acceptable.

Greg

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Quote:
I was at Sears, they showed the plasma with a price tag on it. There is no price or description of this mandatory service on display with the plasma.
I totally agree, if it's mandatory, then it MUST be on the price tag. This policy seems to apply to all their "big screen" TV's. What's really asinine is the fact that I live no more than 1 mile from that sears, and compared to other "big screen" TV's, the plasma is ridiculously light!

Oh, I was informed however, that when they "install" it, they will unbox it, put the table stand on, plug it in, and show you how to work the menus! Oh, boy! Now I won't have to spend all that time doing it myself (what one hour maybe?) And Lord knows, my hour is worth at least $500!

·
Registered
112 Posts
When I ordered my new HD cable box, the cable company said I could not pick up and install the box myself, but had to wait for a technician to come to my house and do this. Their rational was that it requred a "trained" technician to know how to install these component video cables. When the technician arrived (days later), he went back out to his truck to get something. I did the installation in the 5 minutes it took him to return. I wasn't going to let him touch my equipment anyways. I imagine most of us on this forum are anal like that. So I guess all of these mandatory installations are just my latest pet peeve.

Greg

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
from Sun., 12/8 USA Weekend Sears ad:

"Panasonic 42-in. Plasma Monitor $4999.99 . . . installation required

"Panasonic speakers . . . $299.99 each"

If the installation fee is not required, or the speaker price is $299.99 for a pair, you sure couldn't tell it from this ad!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.