AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently remodeling a house an plan to be in it by christmas. I will be building a central media room for my computer, and a Plasma tv. I am currently looking at either Pioneer, or Panny plasmas. Features I would like on the tvs are PIP, 1080p, and a computer input. However they are not required. While looking the at the 7x, and 7xx seires of plasmas they are missing some of the options i would like. I have not seen any info on the new pioneers coming out. Also the screen size I am looking for is 50 inch at 720p -1080p, or a 1080p 42. Larger screens are out of my price range.

So to the questions.

1. Do the new Pannys have a large step up in pq compared to the 6xx series?

2. Will the old model Panny, and Pioneer still be in good supply or will it dry up by xmas?

4.If the old models are still around to get, will there price be much lower than the new ones, or about the same?

5.Anyone have any info on features of the new pioneers coming out? Or when will that info be made public?

6.For breaking in my new Plasma, will a visualization of music work that I just set to loop, or is it better for the tv to use slower changes of color.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Answers:

1. The new ones probably have touched up a few things but overall, there are many happy 60/600 series owners and they are good sets so if you can get one really cheap then its a good buy. Same with the 2006 models from Pio....VERY good TVs.

2. Hard to say. People have been buying them though, Ive read about some sick pricing on 50" and 58" models.

3. Prices will always drop...but theye will likely hit a "floor". Chances are that they will be long gone before they get dirt cheap.... I mean the price can only go so low.

4. There are threads about the new Pioneers on this site, check for them or search and you'll find it/them.

5. I found that the best break-in procedure was simply to use a channel like Discovery HD theater which broadcasts in widescreen HD all day long. It has varied programming and you'll get a good, even break-in this way. Watching a few 16x9 movies also works. Just avoid "bars" either on the sides OR the tops of the screen during break-in and you'll be good to go.

·
Registered
30,073 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsiStorm /forum/post/0

I am currently remodeling a house an plan to be in it by christmas. I will be building a central media room for my computer, and a Plasma tv. I am currently looking at either Pioneer, or Panny plasmas. Features I would like on the tvs are PIP, 1080p, and a computer input. However they are not required. While looking the at the 7x, and 7xx seires of plasmas they are missing some of the options i would like. I have not seen any info on the new pioneers coming out. Also the screen size I am looking for is 50 inch at 720p -1080p, or a 1080p 42. Larger screens are out of my price range.

From what I understand, the new 75/77 series from Panny is just cosmetic improvements -- the panel and PQ should be the same. The 700U series, which is 1080P, is a whole new thing.

The 600U model from last year has everything you need except 1080P -- VGA input and PIP/Split-screen.

You might also want to look into the industrial Panny 9UK models. They are monitors only, and come with limited inputs built in, but if you are going to using the plasma just to display from a media PC, that won't matter because it comes with VGA input built in. It doesn't come with a stand or speakers, so if you need to use it like a normal TV it gets more expensive once you add optional inputs and speakers and stuff, but if all you need to do is mount it on the wall and plug in the VGA cable and maybe a Component connection, and will be using external speakers, it might be a great affordable option.

If you want 1080P at 42", you are pretty much stuck with the Panny 700U, as it's the only one.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts