AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two questions hopefully someone here knows the answer to one or both..

First on encoding : I use MakeMKV to backup my bluray discs onto my HTPC. When i do the rip, I select just the main movie video and the lossess audio option under the video and unselect everything else. MKV does its job and makes me a 17-23 gb file on average. Now when it comes to playing back that MKV file through Total Media Theater, it doesn't set my Receiver to DTSHDMA or TrueHD. But playing the disc directly in total media theater sets up the dtshdma/turehd just fine. If the lossless is the only audio I riped and i'm hearing audio, why isn't my receiver going into HD audio mode? (receiver is an Onkyo TX-SR606)

Second question is starting up my HTPC : Sometimes I have a heck of a job getting the screen of my htpc to show up on my Sony HDTV. The HDMI goes to the Onkyo then to the Sony. I sit there and watch the receiver try and figure out what type of signal it is and if i do something like start Media Center which has an audio lyric play, the receiver locks in and then I get video. The other thing I can do is remote desktop the HTPC and change the screen resolution around, that'll also produce video. I'd say half the time it boots up fine if i set the receiver and tv to the right settings before starting up the HTPC, the other half of the time it's kind of a pain to get it going. This is kind of a new thing, three months ago it would turn on fine. Other than software updates i haven't really changed anything that I can think of.

Any insight would be appreciated.

·
Registered
537 Posts
On the first account, TMT will not bitstream from an MKV. Play with MPC-HC to bitstream from an MKV.

This is, of course provided that you have the appropriate hardware to bitstream the lossless codec's.

What are you using for a video card?

edit, noticed you said it will do it off disks, so you must have the hardware.

This is a known limitation of TMT. Sorry, MPC-HC and ffdshow are your friends.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ahhh ok it's TMT that doesn't have the features i need. Ok, i'll google MPC-HC and see what that's about.

Edit : Hmm... well i installed MPCHC and also ffdshow trial that has the lossless codec support but i just fired up an MKV file and still no love making my lossless lights come on. I re-ripped the movie to make sure only the lossless audio was selected so now i'm double sure the lossless is what's being ripped.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.