AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. For the Tivo like function, do you need 2 feeds coming from your Satellite Dish ?

2. I know the video cards have built in tuners, but how do these work with Satellite receivers?? Would I still use my Sat receiver to change channels or would I be using the tuner on the HTPC ??

3. Do video cards have HDMI out ? My TV has a PC connection, but the TV only does 1080p through HDMI (Sony 55a2000)

4. Do I have to have MCE on all my computers (currently have desktop / laptop with XP) or just the HTPC?

·
Registered
5,324 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSC /forum/post/0

1. For the Tivo like function, do you need 2 feeds coming from your Satellite Dish ?

Well depends on if you want to watch TV and record at the same time. Because the only way to tune satellite is with set top box's you need to have two box's, then feed the HTPC with the box's via composite or s video and L/R rca audio.

There also are a few satellite tuner cards but they aren't usable on Dish or Direct TV easily, so the set top box into the PC is the only real easy way to do it.

Quote:
2. I know the video cards have built in tuners, but how do these work with Satellite receivers?? Would I still use my Sat receiver to change channels or would I be using the tuner on the HTPC ??

you'll want to get dedicated tuner cards, video cards with VIVO don't work too well and are just outdated.

What will happen is you'll connect your sat box into the PC via say s video cable and then red white audio cables into the tuner card.

Then you get a USB based IR receiver box that takes in remote control commands to control the PVR software on the PC. On top of that, this USB IR receiver has little IR emitters that have double sided sticky tape on them, you attach that onto the sat box so essentially the PC terns into the remote control for the sat box and then you use the PC interface to control everything.

So your using the PVR software as your Tivo or guide service and the pvr software then controls your sat box to change channels and such.

Quote:
3. Do video cards have HDMI out ? My TV has a PC connection, but the TV only does 1080p through HDMI (Sony 55a2000)

Yes there are HDMI video cards out there. But you can easily just get a regular video card with DVI and just get a DVI to HDMI cable and that will work just as well.

Currently the HDMI video cards don't have a good way of sending audio out through the HDMI cable. what they do is have a digital coax SPDIF input on the card that you run from your sound card. IT works but I think is just a rudimentary way of doing it.

Quote:
4. Do I have to have MCE on all my computers (currently have desktop / laptop with XP) or just the HTPC?

Not sure why you'd need MCE on all your PC's unless you want them to have it. You can still share files and stream files between all the PC's, MCE is essentailly windows XP, it just has the added MCE interface added to it.

- Josh

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.