AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I do not have any calibration equipment. However, I did once find a guide on how to eyeball the Gamma setting to make it better than not setting it at all using the test pattern on Digital Video Essentials... On my previous TV I somehow did it and ended up with a Gamma of +2. Does anyone know what to look for?

Also, when setting Tint I am using the red colour filter and the green filter is almost useless according to the video but my TV has individual settings for red,green, blue under "white balance". Can I use this to tweak the settings looking through the green colour filter?

Also, when starting the calibration... what mode should the colour temp be in? (cool, warm, etc.) and what should the HDMI black level be on? (Low or normal). Finally, what sort of video mode do I start in? (Standard, Movie, Dynamic) and how do I adjust the backlight correctly? The video doesn't specify blacklight settings.

·
Registered
6,232 Posts
Honestly, without any equipment you are not calibrating your TV. Calibration refers to a fixed set of standards. You have no reference to these standards with your eyes.

The best you can hope for is to get things looking a little closer to the target. You can rent equipment from some sites, and you can buy cheaper used equipment on ebay. Or you can have it done professionally. But without equipment you are only guessing and ares are you will guess wrong.

·
867 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts