AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I've been reading and trying to learn the basic rules of treating your home theater room. I'm pretty happy with my equipment and the room, but theres always room for improvement and I keep reading that treatments are a huge upgrade.

That's my view of the TV from sitting in my "sweet spot". Would I need to put panels behind the TV/stand?

That's the view looking to the right of the room approx. from the sweet spot. The wall is a straight run. I would assume 4 or 5 absorptive panels along that wall?

That is looking to the left of the room, again, approx. from the sweet spot. Is that bar area going to cause any issues? Is there something I would need to do to treat that area?

That is just a little up from the bar area. Should I put an absorptive panel up there? (also curious about the ceiling there)

That's just another picture looking from the wall in the previous picture.

That picture is taking from right infront of the TV/stand.

I read that generally you want absorptive panels in front of your listening position, diffusers behind you, and bass traps in the corners. Is that pretty accurate?

Judging by these pics, can anyone provide any help on what should go where? I would really appreciate it! I would be happy to provide more pictures if it was needed.

Again, thanks!

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Bass traps in as many corners as possible. Don't neglect floor/ceiling/wall corners. Absorbers at all first reflection points (including the ceiling). If you read the acoustic treatments thread you should know the basics. If you want beyond the basics hire a pro if you don't want to figure this out for yourself.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dknightd /forum/post/15561545

Bass traps in as many corners as possible. Don't neglect floor/ceiling/wall corners. Absorbers at all first reflection points (including the ceiling).

To which I'll add thick absorption on the wall that's right behind the listeners. That's where the peaks and nulls are always worst.

Quote:
If you want beyond the basics hire a pro if you don't want to figure this out for yourself.

Good advice, and if nobody minds I'll mention that good acoustic treatment vendors will do this for free as part of the sale of their products. My company does this all the time.

--Ethan

·
Registered
1,499 Posts

You're first photo shows a decided bias toward your right-side speakers. Maybe atleast 10 degrees of tilt. Might have to rebalance your room.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
looks to me like you have enough couches, chairs, footstool and carpet that you don't need any more padding.

Does it sound weird having the center, vocals, so high above the TV?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have the center channel tilted downwards. I haven't heard it any other way, so its sounds pretty good to me! I know its way up there, but I unfortunately don't have a choice.

I re-adjusted the right speaker lastnight actually. I'm always crawling between that speaker and the TV to reset my airport express. It seems to be on its last legs....

Would it be necessary to put bass traps along the ceiling where the ducting runs through?

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
I know it's a little off record from the acoustic treatments part, but what kind of speakers are those?? And your subs?

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I would put panels at all first reflection points, and bass traps in the corners (start by filling the four vertical corners, but you may want to take it further).

I would put panels behind the speakers -- if the speakers are not strictly near-field, they will radiate backwards, which will count as a reflection point.

I would put diffusion on the back wall and in the ceiling, and perhaps on the wall in that bar area -- unless you like a really clinical, "dead" sound. Make sure you're sitting at least 4' away from the back wall; preferably more.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts