AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cousin's Video is taking pre-orders for the Zenith DTV1080 ATSC receiver. They say the units will ship in July. Their price is $699 plus shipping which I believe is full retail. Cousin's order page is here.

I don't know anything about Cousin's Video, nor do I recommend ordering from them. I am just sharing the news that the Zenith STB appears to be close.

------------------

Rich Peterson

DBS Consumer Guide Author

[This message has been edited by Rich Peterson (edited 05-30-2001).]

·
Registered
801 Posts
I've used Cousin's Video before and had excellent results. I ordered the Panasonic VHS HDTV recorder, and when came in early at another outlet, the deposit was returned immediately. I then ordered a Panasonic HD set top box, and got it immediately. Very good and personal service, wouldn't hesitate a minute ordering from them.

Bob Smith

·
Registered
688 Posts
looks like this unit is loaded! now my pending purchase of the Hughes STB might be on hold in favor of the Zenith.

is there a claim to fame for the Zenith? i've not heard any performance buzz for this particular unit. should i wait? thanks for any commentsf>

------------------
Vuf>s>
radeon htpc

denon avr-3300

denon dvd-2500

mitsubishi ws-55805

monitor audo silver series
s>

·
Registered
801 Posts
Zenith looks like a great box. Since others have had such problems with the Sony box however, I think I might wait on this one. I'm normally first to order a new product, but these STBs do so much, it's easy to get things wrong. Even though I hate the user interface on the DTC-100, I am amazed how well they got things right out of the chute.

Bob Smith

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree on paper the Zenith looks very good. I am considering purchasing it myself. However, some with early prototype boxes have reported some deficiencies (such as a loud fan noise) which would make it less desirable if they make it into the final product. Like Bob says, because these STBs do so much it is easy to do some things wrong.

A few months ago before the Panasonic HDS20 was released, several people postponed buying a DTC100 or other 1st gen STB since on paper the Panny looked quite good. Many of them were disappointed when it finally arrived and wished they hadn't waited.

------------------

Rich Peterson

DBS Consumer Guide Author

·
Registered
801 Posts
Yes that's the tightrope I am walking.

I am guessing that Zenith, more than anyone else, probably has the best idea about how to do things. the RS232 port on back will make controlling it a breeze, and Zenith invented 8VSB and was the first to offer an 8VSB STB (even though no-one could afford it!), so I'll bet receiver performance will be excellent. The price is very reasonable also for all the features offered. Still, my DTC-100 seems to be working fine, and except for offering 720P in native format, I'll bet there won't be a bit of difference in the picture.

Bob Smith

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Smith:
Even though I hate the user interface on the DTC-100, I am amazed how well they got things right out of the chute.
After about 7 months and 3 software updates.... Revisionist history is a wonderful thing.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I have no trouble recommending Cousins too. I bought a D-VHS/STB combo from them and although I had to talk them through the process of shipping to Canada, they delivered as promised.

------------------

John Golitsis

Next Big Thing Electronics

Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
www.nbtelectronics.com

·
Registered
801 Posts
It may be revisionist history, but it worked just fine when I got it, none of the software upgrades really affected the basic operation of the box. You can't software upgrade a noisy fan.

Bob Smith

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.