AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I am moving into a new (to me) house and need to design my new theatre room. One of the rooms I am considering has unique possibilites. i whipped it up quickly in sketchup.


what do you think?


not on the floor plan are the doors, there is one on each side about half way down the walls.


note: the perspective and depths are off in the actual photographs because i used a wideangle lens.


 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,266 Posts
Looks like it'll be a nice build. How tall is the room?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by adammb /forum/post/18286437


Looks like it'll be a nice build. How tall is the room?

off hand, not quite sure.. it's a basement, so 8' or 9' I would assume.. I'll double check and update.



i am just interested in what people think of the room shape and how it will work out for 7.1
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,018 Posts
Interesting space. Have you given any thought to room layout? Is the door at the 8'-9" end of the room the only way to get to the water heater? I'm assuming you are thinking about putting the screen at the wide end of the room, over the windows. Seems pretty tight at the other end, even with a false wall, especially if that's the only way to get to the water heater. A plan of the whole space, including the adjacent rooms, would be helpful to understand circulation. Having a door on each side of the theater, at the midpoint of each wall is not ideal and could make your riser layout a challenge. You should have the depth to do 2 rows of seats and maybe a bar setup for the 3rd row, tucked into the 8'-9" end of the room. Add a door behind the 3rd row and stick your equipment in the water heater room.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman /forum/post/18287101


Interesting space. Have you given any thought to room layout? Is the door at the 8'-9" end of the room the only way to get to the water heater? I'm assuming you are thinking about putting the screen at the wide end of the room, over the windows. Seems pretty tight at the other end, even with a false wall, especially if that's the only way to get to the water heater. A plan of the whole space, including the adjacent rooms, would be helpful to understand circulation. Having a door on each side of the theater, at the midpoint of each wall is not ideal and could make your riser layout a challenge. You should have the depth to do 2 rows of seats and maybe a bar setup for the 3rd row, tucked into the 8'-9" end of the room. Add a door behind the 3rd row and stick your equipment in the water heater room.

thanks for the feedback..


I am currently trying to think of how to work around the hot water heater room..


right now I have 52" LCD TV in my current theatre, but I think the size of this room may make the TV look wayyy to small.


if I did do a projector, I could just have a roll up screen and use that to allow access into the hot water heater room.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,266 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmouthindc /forum/post/18287486


i would put an acoustically transparent wall about 3 ft from the narrow end which will help widen the room a bit at the front allowing fro a little larger screen.

+1
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
obviously this room (and the whole basement) was partially finished before we bought the house.


if i want to run in wall speaker wire (inside blue conduit), how much drywall should i have to remove to run the conduit around the perimeter of the room, i assume i have to go over the doorway?


what would be the tidiest way to do this without too much destruction to the walls, gotta keep cost down in some places to waste it in others.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC /forum/post/18287486


I would put an acoustically transparent wall about 3 ft from the narrow end which will help widen the room a bit at the front allowing fro a little larger screen.

know of a thread by chance that would have this? i still need to be able to get into that back room, is it possible to make the transparent screen moveable. or a doorway?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC /forum/post/18290437


Ok, it can be done, but now looking at the room some more maybe blocking out the windows and putting the screen on the wide wall is the way to go with this space.

i think the reverse direction will really limit the seating.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,266 Posts
You can easily make a hinged screen so you can have access.


Reversing so the screen is in front of the windows not only will limit seating but also you will lose the window use.


How many seats are you wanting in the theater?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by adammb /forum/post/18291779


You can easily make a hinged screen so you can have access.


Reversing so the screen is in front of the windows not only will limit seating but also you will lose the window use.


How many seats are you wanting in the theater?

I currently have a 4 seat theatre style couch..


similar to this style..
http://cn1.kaboodle.com/hi/img/2/0/0...AAAAAJ2pDQ.jpg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_pilgrim /forum/post/18291742


Why not move the HW heater or go tankless (somewhere else ideally)?

this is absolutely a no go, its not just he water heater in there, its also the heater for all the radiant heating in the house.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,266 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyd4r /forum/post/18292023


I currently have a 4 seat theatre style couch..


similar to this style..
http://cn1.kaboodle.com/hi/img/2/0/0...AAAAAJ2pDQ.jpg

If you only do the 4 seat like that you can easily just build a hinged screen for access and put your seats by the windows with plenty of room since you dont need to get behind the seat.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top