AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I've got a pretty basic question as I begin building my home theater. Right now the screen wall has a big arse window on it which you can see in the picture below. I'm now ready to cover this entire wall with some kind of board and wanted to get some opinions on "what" based on what's usually stocked at HD or Lowes. I don't want to do drywall but am open to anything else. Also of consideration is cutting down on sound that would be coming through the glass behind whatever material is in front of it. Thanks!!

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Why would you leave the window there? I had one in the middle of my screenwall, removed it and double drywalled with Green glue and a layer of acoustic material. Drywall and linacoustic are what you want there, not any other material and you really want the window out, assuming your are talking about a REAL wall.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCall /forum/post/0

Why would you leave the window there? I had one in the middle of my screenwall, removed it and double drywalled with Green glue and a layer of acoustic material. Drywall and linacoustic are what you want there, not any other material and you really want the window out, assuming your are talking about a REAL wall.

Simple: homeowners requires the window be there from the outside. That's why you see a cheapie blind there. Due to the tight design of my room, I'm not willing to build out an entirely new 6" wall. I simply want to put the best material on top of what's already there, and then fill in the gap between the window and new surface with insulation.

So, any material suggestions for the new panel?

·
Registered
527 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac /forum/post/0

Simple: homeowners requires the window be there from the outside. That's why you see a cheapie blind there. Due to the tight design of my room, I'm not willing to build out an entirely new 6" wall. I simply want to put the best material on top of what's already there, and then fill in the gap between the window and new surface with insulation.

Your best bet, as was already suggested, is new double layered drywall with Green Glue sandwiched between the layers. Cover the inside of the window in black (I used black construction paper, although the window I was covering was much smaller) and drywall over it. You can lay some R8 kraft-paper faced insulation over the inside of the black paper if you want to insulate, and Linacoustic if you want isolation from the outside sound.

You said 'best material', but then you said 'no drywall'. You're going to have to choose one or the other - drywall will be the best material to cover it with.

-drin

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I misunderstood McCalls post and thought he was talking about removing the window altogether and then rebuilding the wall with 2 layers of drywall. Thanks for the feedback, guys. I think you're right in that I'll need to eat into the room footprint a little bit and go for putting up 2 layers of drywall on top of the window, then covering them with some acoustic fabric. I also like the idea of 1/2" linacoustics between the drywall and window glass to keep sound in/out of the room.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Sounds like you are on the right track. And FYI, McCall is our resident grandma.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.