AVS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any photos of how they covered up their IB holes?

When I start cutting holes in my wall, I would like to have the cover sorted out first (so that my wife will be more accepting of a big hole in her living room wall).

I was thinking that a louvered door type cover might work.

Anybody care to give suggestions? I'm looking for least noticeable options.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply!

Do you think that acoustic fabric will allow for enough air flow though?

The flow from 2+ 18" woofers would be quite a lot I would think.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Electric Wiz  /t/1524406/covers-for-ib-hole-in-wall#post_24532821

Thanks for the reply!

Do you think that acoustic fabric will allow for enough air flow though?

The flow from 2+ 18" woofers would be quite a lot I would think.

It'll be fine.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
You need to go to The Cult of the Infinitely Baffled, there's an entire assortment of images of every style cover you can imagine.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Here's what I did.

I went to the fabric store with a small paint sample and did the best I could to find a match. The fabric is just stretched over some simple wood frames. I picked a pretty breathable fabric, but really any fabric should be basically invisible to the waves coming from your subwoofer anyway. The only downside to the fabric approach is some rather distracting fluttering during bass heavy scenes. After I adjusted my bias light to not shine on it, it stopped being so noticeable.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Very similar to this...two 24" Hartley's lurked behind fabric store burlap over a plywood frame. When the house was sold, I just patched the drywall & no one could tell the IB had been there.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
No sub forum, it's the main images in the example IBs, pages of them.

There's always Google images, I'm sure there's multiple examples there.

There's no rules, the wavelengths are so big the material is critical, anything aesthetically pleasing, you're golden.

·
Registered
690 Posts
^^^ What he said, except:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOH  /t/1524406/covers-for-ib-hole-in-wall#post_24541514

There's no rules, the wavelengths are so big the material is NOT critical, anything aesthetically pleasing, you're golden.

·
Registered
448 Posts
i went to the fabric store yesterday to find fabric to stretch over a frame I will build to cover the subs. I placed my lips on the fabric and gave a puff through it to determine resistance. found a color I liked in a nylon/spandex fabric that gave me little to no resistance and bought it. I will build the frame this week.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitviper33  /t/1524406/covers-for-ib-hole-in-wall#post_24541769

^^^ What he said, except:

Thanks for that

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the suggestions guys!

Now it's starting to warm up in Texas and I'm behind schedule. I was hoping to have my gear relocate finished by now (moving gear to a closet).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts