AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm moving (soon) to the Aliso Veijo region (farther from the main antennnas and signal with many hills in the way.) Does anyone know if Cox in So.Cal. is sending the 8-VSB OTA down their cable feed?

Thanks in advance.

Rick

PS. The main thrust here is that I am going to get Samsung's OTA Sird-150 and hope to be able to get all my local channels even with the increased distance.

------------------

The Proceeding Message Was Brought To You By Some Yutz Who Thinks He Knows Something. Ignore At Will.

[This message has been edited by Rick Raymo (edited 06-17-2001).]

·
Registered
348 Posts
Rick,

Cox is doing a test HDTV transmission in Omaha, NB. I have talked to the local OC Cox reps, and they say they have no plans to offer HDTV in OC at this time. Even when they do, it probably won't be 8VSB, it will likely be QAM-256.

Keep bugging them. I do. The more the better.

I am in Irvine, and I have the Samsung SIR-T150, and I can get all 9 DTV stations from LA with an indoor antenna. KNBC is the hardest to get for me, and I do get a few dropouts sometimes, but I will see if a UHF amp helps. Next step would be an attic antenna. But except for KNBC dropouts, all the others are rock solid. I love the Samsung.

Chris

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah. I'm in Costa Mesa and Rock Solid Myself with my two RCA DTC-100's...including NBC--and those with amplified RS dual bowties...

I just have a fear that when I move to Aliso, it'll be 16 miles more, and I'll lose all the incredible 24 hour a day content from the locals (in my dreams.)

Grin.

Rick

------------------

Rick Raymo,

Knucklehead Extraordinaire

·
Registered
782 Posts
FWIW, I skipped over Cox's Omaha cable in favor of Dishnetwork. I chose SHOHD and PPVHD over CBSHD.

Cox doesn't advertise their HD offerings via cable or their local website, interesting, makes you wonder if they're actually serious about long term HD goals. Given their current marketing efforts I wouldn't consider shelling out close to a grand for the required hardware.

John

·
Registered
93 Posts
I also skipped Cox's local HD feed (1 HBO, one local affiliate) in favor of DirecTV. The local affiliate (KMTV I think) said next spring they'd be broadcasting over the air. I know one of the stations are building a new tower somewhere in town that's supposed to support HD broadcasts also.

The Cox HD feed requires a $1,000.00 box that is dedicated ( you still need the GI cable box) and can only be purchased at the NFM.

------------------

Part cluster lizard, part love slave.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Scoots,

The HDD200 can be found on the internet for around $500. Much cheaper than the $900 installed at Nebraska Furniture Mart, then again they Cox/NFM don't want you to know that.

All of Omaha's stations (PBS and FOX not included) are slated to begin delivery of terrestrial High definition digital content by May 2002. PBS will be online 2003, FOX's no HD delivery attitude is a don't care/don't watch as far as I'm concerned, Rupert Murdoch can take a long walk off a short peer.

John

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.