AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heard from very reliable Cox cable employee.

I also heard it from a VP at Cox on the radio.

good news.

Carl

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
You don't happen to know how much it's going to cost and what channels. They also didn't happen to say an exact date. Just sometime in July.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Support rep hinted at this last week when setting up my father-in-law's cable modem access. Please let this be more than a rumor and at a reasonable cost! I need some HDTV!

Petey

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He said it will be the same cost as digital cable with an extra fee for hd receiver rental. He was told this in a meeting. He just knows it will happen in July.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Have they said whether or not they will provide the local Digital channels?

Vic W.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have heard the same. by next month we should have access to HD tv in vegas. YEAH. what im wondering is if we can use our current HD tuners to recieve the channels. Ive heard with some other cable companies is that they were able to just plug in the cable line to their current HD tuners and recieve the channels without getting an extra or different cable box. this would be great cause i have a built in tuner.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Through a source inside cox, I have learned that they are currently testing the product (they have HD cable boxes hooked up in 2-5 houses) and will roll out late July. They currently have slated HBO-HD, SHO-HD and locals.

I am just hoping that they will have HD/Cablemodem bundles at a reasonable price. Currently pricing is this:

Digital Cable with Movie Channel Package: $65

Cable Modem Service (1.5 / 256): $45 (rent modem) $40 (own)

Cable Modem Service (256 / 256): $26

IMAGINE a $110 bill every month from the cable company.

Trevor_2k

·
Registered
24 Posts
Why would you want to pay cox to get Hi-Def? I get all the available local stations with an OTA antenna. The hardware can be found for less than $500.00. I am sure it would pay for itself, over time. IMHO mine has.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by revnews
Why would you want to pay cox to get Hi-Def? I get all the available local stations with an OTA antenna. The hardware can be found for less than $500.00. I am sure it would pay for itself, over time. IMHO mine has.
Tough picking up that HD-HBO feed though with an OTA antenna.

Petey

·
Registered
45 Posts
anyone not get an HD signal the past couple days. i have not been able to get any HD signal over the weekend. dont know if its my tv or if everyone is haveing this problem.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Get an HD siganal from where. I was watching channel 8.1 yesterday..

Also some of us would pay because where I live there isn't a spot that I can put the antenna that the picture doesn't break up every so often. It never seems to happen during the commercials though. Just the good parts. I just wouldn't pay that much. I think they should just use 8VSB so we can pick it up without another converter box. but they aren't going to do that though.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Quote:
I live in the shadow of black mountain and have an extremely difficult time pulling stuff of the channel 8 and channel 13 antenna south of anthem. I can't get 13 stuff very well at all.

Thats why I would pay cox for hd. (+ HBO, +SHO)

Plus I don't have to *%@! with the antenna for channel changes.

Trevor_2k

·
Registered
24 Posts
All very valid reasons. I guess I am lucky that I can pull in all three stations. I am inside Seven hills and I am only using a Channel Master Stealth Antenna. Of course, I get my HBO and Showtime through Dish.

·
Registered
103 Posts
btw...I just saw a commercial from Cox Digital Cable mocking Satellite Systems and at the bottom in flashing text it said "High-Definition TV Coming Soon!!"

Just thought I'd share that with all of you.

Trevor_2k

p.s. Where is the "Official" Las Vegas HDTV thread anyway?

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
This is it I guess. I plan on making a website that talks about HDTV in Las Vegas, but I havent't got a chance to start it yet.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I got an email from Tiffany Long that says the following.

We will begin broadcasting in High Definition during the month of August! I hope that answers your question. Have a nice day.

Sincerely,

Channel 3

Tiffany Long

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Hmmmm....I guess I am converting at a great time. I am going to be buying a HDTV monitor in the next month or so. I thought I was locked into D*.

Do you guys think that D* offers a better NTSC signal than Cox digital for viewing on a 53" HDTV?

Will Cox be able to offer HD-Net? Perhaps Mark Cuban can buy Cox...

Will Cox offer pay-per-view HD broadcasts? Sporting events?

Things are getting interesting....

Tim

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.