AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21,203 Posts
Yes, the Scientific Atlanta 8300HD, the HD DVR which Cox OKC uses, has PIP. It works on both SD and HD channels. The 8300HD sucks in most ways but it does do that.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so how do the features of the Scientific compare to the Motorola's DCT 6416 III (what I have now). From what I understand the DCT 6416 is a pretty good box. Anyone know if I can use the Scientific box in Kansas?

I just really really want PIP on my Optoma HD70. Until HTPC's reach a point that I will build one I guess I will have to wait.

·
Premium Member
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, M&K S-125, S-80, MX-90, Windows Media Center 4K HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,623 Posts
You can not simply choose a cable box; you can only use what your cableco offers.

·
Registered
21,203 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatwilsonguy /forum/post/0

so how do the features of the Scientific compare to the Motorola's DCT 6416 III (what I have now). From what I understand the DCT 6416 is a pretty good box. Anyone know if I can use the Scientific box in Kansas?

I just really really want PIP on my Optoma HD70. Until HTPC's reach a point that I will build one I guess I will have to wait.

Be careful what you wish for. The SA 8300HD DVR with SARA software, which is what Cox OKC uses, is perfectly awful in most ways. I won't go into its limitations here other than to say that they are many and annoying.

I dumped one of my 8300HD boxes in favor of a TiVo Series3 HD DVR in January. Making the change was a very expensive decision but, in the event a very good one. My TiVo doesn't have PIP but its program search, recording, and playback features are so flexible, I virtually never watch live TV any more, and I certainly never flip back and forth between two live programs. In short, I wouldn't use PIP even if I had it.

As noted the TiVo S3 is a very expensive DVR solution but it is the best. Despite its high cost, I can't recommend it highly enough. Now might be a good time to look into one as TiVo has just instituted a $200 rebate program.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info. If I am going to dump to much money into this I will build a HTPC. I did get a quick response from Cox who told me that I can use the Scientific Atlanta 8300HD. I really don't use the DVR very much. I don't schedule any recordings very far out from the broadcast date. Unfortunately the real solution I would like to have is about $2500 (commercial style video scaler).

I have an Optoma HD70 that I display on a 106" screen. I use it for movies, sporting events, gaming and some internet use. More than watching two shows at a time I would like to be able to play PS3, XBOX360, Wii ect... and keep tabs on some news or something.

I think I'll just hold off. I am pleased with my current DVR other than the lack of PIP (which won't do what I really want.)

thanks for all the input.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts