AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I live right outside of DC in alexandria and have Cox's HDTV service. The Discovery HD theater channel is amazing, the only problem I'm having is the screen vibrates. I have a samsung 61 DLP (HLM617W) and on component 2 the screen would vibrate to the point it was almost unwatchable. I switched to component 3 and it still vibrates but nowhere near as noticeably. I'm not up on the technical issues pertaining to these things and I'd appreciate it if someone can tell me if this is the TV or the signal or how I can tell :confused:

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Plug your DVD into the Component and see if it vibrates...

·
Registered
164 Posts
I got rid of Discovery HD theater (looks great, but not paying $8.00 for it). but I am haveing no problem with the rest of Cox's HD channels.

One possible thing, The HD channels are MUCH more sensitive to signal loss (due to splitters, long cable runs etc...) then the analog or regular digital channels. I was having my HD channels drop out a lot until they put in a very nice, expensive, signal booster (they will do this for free) for me. Now it's rock solid. Buy that's signal loss, not vibration?!? Never heard of that.

Does it do it on the other HD channels or just Discovery?

- John

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would plug in a DVD player but I use an HTPC. No other DVD player except a playstation2, but that plugs into the 480 only component port. The PS2 with a DVD has no vibration at all.

Its not just discovery HD that has vibration, its just a little more noticeable on that channel. I can view all digital channels also through the component connection (although they will have black bars all around unless they are the HD channels) and they will still vibrate.

When the non HD channels are viewed through the S video they are perfectly fine.

Is the only way to determine this problem to go out and buy a DVD player?

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Just plug anything into that input and see if it works. Maybe try a different Cable?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cox has been here 4 times already trying diff things and it still vibrates when the HD signal is viewed through component. They have tried rewiring everything insides the condo, changing the cable box 4 times, changing the component cables a couple of times and an HDTV expert came to the building to check the HDTV signal specifically and it tested good.

I'm thinking its that I either need monster component cables or the TV itself has some kind of problem. I'm wondering if nothing works if they will give me some sort of discount or something.

For now I'm going to go grab a set of monster component cables.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.