AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
17,148 Posts
From HOTP...

‘Coyote’ U.S-Mexico Border Drama Starring Michael Chiklis Gets Series Order At Paramount Network
By Nellie Andreeva, Deadline.com - Jun. 26, 2019

As the United States’ southern border continues to be the focal point of political debate centered around immigration, Paramount Network has given a 10-episode series order tow Coyote, a one-hour scripted drama series, starring and executive produced by Emmy winner Michael Chiklis, from Emmy-winning executive producer and director Michelle MacLaren (Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad), Dark Horse Entertainment and Sony Pictures TV. It’s slated to premiere in 2020.

Written by David Graziano (American Gods), Michael Carnes and Josh Gilbert (Mr. Woodcock), Coyote is the story of Ben Clemens (Chiklis), who after 32 years as a border patrol agent, is forced to work for the very people he spent his career trying to keep out of America. Now exposed to life on the other side of the wall, Ben will start to question his black and white views of the world, challenging his ideology and his loyalties.

Graziano also will serve as showrunner and executive produce with Carnes, Gilbert, Dark Horse Entertainment’s Mike Richardson and Keith Goldberg (The Umbrella Academy) and Rebecca Hobbs of MacLaren Entertainment.

“The powerful, timely setting and complex characters are a perfect fit with the rest of our growing scripted slate,” said Keith Cox, President of Development, Paramount Network and TV Land.

This is the latest new scripted series order at Paramount Network, which has been ramping up its slate. It joins recently greenlighted Southern saga Paradise Lost (working title, fka Heaven of Hell), a co-production with Spectrum Originals, and 68 Whiskey, from Imagine Entertainment.

“David Graziano, our whole creative team, and I are excited to make a show with Paramount Network and Sony that will dramatize a conversation between Mexico and America,” said MacLaren. “I have wanted to work with Michael Chiklis for a long time and am thrilled he is playing such a complex character whose journey will expose multiple points of view on this relevant and complicated issue.”

This marks a return to Sony TV for Chiklis, who won an Emmy and a Golden Globe for his signature role as corrupt LAPD detective Vic Mackey on FX’s The Shield, co-produced by the studio, and for MacLaren, who was executive producer on Sony TV’s AMC series Breaking Bad, sharing in its two drama series Emmy Awards and earning a directing nomination.

“We are incredibly excited to be working with this creative powerhouse of a team and beyond thrilled to have Michael Chiklis back in our Sony family,” said Jason Clodfelter, Co-President of Sony Pictures Television. At Paramount Network, the studio also has anthology series Accused in development with David Shore.

This is a rare non-comic book-based series to come out of Dark Horse Entertainment, the film and TV production arm of comic book publishing company Dark Horse Comics.

“While most of our shows and movies come from our own library, in Coyote, we found an original idea and character that were undeniable and attracted this incredible creative team,” said Mike Richardson, Dark Horse Entertainment’s President and Founder.

Paramount Network’s scripted roster also includes flagship drama Yellowstone, now in its second season, and the upcoming Darren Star series, Emily in Paris, starring Lily Collins.

Chiklis recently played Captain Nathaniel Barnes for two seasons on Fox’s Gotham and was seen in AIDS drama feature 1985. MacLaren also has directed episodes of Game of Thrones, Westworld and The Walking Dead.

[URL="https://deadline.com/2019/06/coyote-...er-1202637754/ "]https://deadline.com/2019/06/coyote-...er-1202637754/[/URL]

·
Registered
16,415 Posts
You'd think a new Thread could wait until at least an actual premier date was established .. cut and paste verbatim from dad1153 Master Thread .. I guess I should take a tip from that concept ..

Reactions: PooperScooper

·
Registered
17,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You'd think a new Thread could wait until at least an actual premier date was established .. cut and paste verbatim from dad1153 Master Thread .. I guess I should take a tip from that concept ..
You wake up on the wrong side of the bed? :D

It generates discussion and gets people talking about it, etc. then as they release dates, trailers, etc. it can be updated, added to etc. At least in my opinion. A lot of these threads (and those not started by me) were created before release dates and they generated a lot of discussions, talks, anticipation, etc. leading up to the actual release announcement.

·
Registered
14,450 Posts
the bigger issue is that he's literally copying dad1153's posts from the News section...he should at least give credit to him for doing all the work...does dad1153 approve of his posts being copied and pasted?

·
Super Moderator
18,206 Posts
A thread starter can (and probably should) title the thread in such a way to avoid confusion. Once the show slots a premiere date or airs, we can always change the title (a Report Post or a PM will usually alert us). I'll edit this one as an example.

I know some threads have done that and I've even put a link in the 1st post to the point in the thread where the post-premiere discussion begins.

It's all too easy to do and something we rather prefer doing instead of policing arguments. :D

·
Registered
611 Posts
Wait a minute. Michael Chiklis played Lt. Vic Mackey on “The Shield,” which in the very first episode depicted him murdering another police detective because he thought his victim was going to expose Mackey’s dirty cop group. Now it looks like the audience is going to be asked to invest empathy for a Mexican coyote gang! Is there a pattern here? Count me out at the beginning. It took me too many episodes to snap to the manipulation and quit The Shield. That show was well produced and the acting was top notch - Walton Goggins was spectacular, as always - but where it headed was crap.

·
Registered
17,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the bigger issue is that he's literally copying dad1153's posts from the News section...he should at least give credit to him for doing all the work...does dad1153 approve of his posts being copied and pasted?
I spoke to Dad1153, he has no issues with this.

·
Registered
17,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
611 Posts
Coyote-with-heart-of-gold ain’t gonna sell here. If I can be assured that in the end all the coyotes will die in pain, I might tune in.

·
Registered
17,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am passing on this one. Watched the first episode, did not like it. The whole bouncing/shaky camera thing is annoying. The acting is pretty bad at times. They film some scenes so close up I had to pause the show and check all my settings because I thought maybe I turned on zoom somewhere. The idea that this border guard is now going to build this house himself is ridiculous. The plot of land is stunning but come on, really, hauling everything you need in your pickup to build a house.

Did like the foam death of the guy, creative but special effects at the end were really bad.

Just nothing to hold my interest so skipping this one.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Two episodes in and it's... OK. There's been enough so far to keep me watching but that's probably more to do with being in lockdown, and not having much to do but watch the projector every evening, than the strength of the show itself.

·
Administrator
19,562 Posts
Two episodes in here as well. I wouldn't actually pay for CBSAA but they sent me a free month promo so I'll at least watch this one.

Reactions: WilliamR

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
Finished E02.. there are only 6 so will keep watching until better things come along.. Prodigal Son starting this week.. Coyote will fill in when there is nothing else.. Never been in the desert but I find it hard to believe that an old fat guy (no offence intended, just logic) could walk 27 miles with a dribble of water.. Fight 2 guys and then walk back all night and into the next day bleeding.. so there is that "not very realistic" to me thing going on.. Yeah I know Prodigal son not realistic either but it is not supposed to be :)

·
Administrator
19,562 Posts
Do you like it? Does it get better after the first episode?
I was a big fan of The Shield so I like seeing Chiklis again in a gritty role. I'd say E2 was better and may solve your issue with the house. :) E1 was pretty much a given based on the trailer and description.

Reactions: WilliamR

·
Registered
17,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I was a big fan of The Shield so I like seeing Chiklis again in a gritty role. I'd say E2 was better and may solve your issue with the house. :) E1 was pretty much a given based on the trailer and description.
Thanks Mike, appreciate it.

·
Registered
237 Posts
This has got better as it's gone along. I've only got Ep6 left to watch and have no idea how they're going to wrap it all up in less than an hour. Presumably there won't really be an ending and it'll pave the way for S2.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts