AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got the CP-72 yesterday. I am wondering if the "transfer mode" should be set to "Auto 1 (normal)" or "Auto 2" for better performance. The owner's manual states that auto 1 is for normal, film material, and that auto 2 is the same as auto 1, but able to convert 30 frame per second video. What would be the best default setting for movie viewing?

My gut is that I might get better results w/ auto 1 if I was sure a film was ALL film based, and that if I knew a movie had both, I should use auto 2. However, will I suffer any performance loss if I leave the player in auto 2 at all times just to cover all possible sources?

Any other important tips you may have for "user settings" to optimize performance would also be appreciated.

ps: there is a third transfer mode, video, that is suited just for video.

·
Registered
25 Posts
C, where did you get the information about only Auto 1 using the DCDi chip. If it's in the manual, I haven't found it. The manual clearly states that Auto 2 is the same as Auto 1, but able to convert 30 frame material.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Stacey was mistaken about Auto 2. It does read the flags, but it only checks a handful of flag patterns. If it doesn't see those patterns, it falls back to the Faroudja cadence analysis. So you still get DCDi and so forth. Overall, I'd still leave it in Auto 1 unless you know the source is 2-2 (30fps) progressive source.

However, the failure mode for Auto 2 is severe combing on mis-flagged content, so another reasonable approach would be to leave it in Auto 2 unless you see constant combing artifacts, at which point you should switch it to Auto 1.

Me, I'd leave it in Auto 1 all the time.

Don

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.