AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From reviews I'm reading, it seems the CP72 is very similar in performance to RP82, and it is still available at retailers.

Doesn't it make sense to get this (seems for under $200) than to try buy a used RP82 for alot more or find a XP30 which doesn't have DVD-Audio? Besides being a 5-disc changer (which I personally don't need) I can't find faults that wouldn't make this a good buy.

Any opinions or thoughts on this appreciated.

·
Registered
462 Posts
First off, I have a CP-72 that has been a good player. However, it doesnt have coax digital output which is a big issue to alot of people. It also lacks the up-conversion feature for CD playback that the 82 had. And finally, there has been many reports of quality issues with the CP-72 that Panasonic has not addressed as of yet. Some people have gone thru 2-3 units before getting a good one. I guess I got lucky.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Check out the DVD shootout. The rp82, xp30, xp50 and the denon 1600 are the best performers. They all scored the same. The cp72 did good but it is not as good according to their tests.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Is the panasonic DVD-S31 a Europe only player of some sort? Bought it recently at Costco for $89 and so far so good. That model # appears to be non-existent in the USA and I'm wondering what the equivalent model here would be.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Yes, but the ONLY shootout test that the CP72 failed that the others passed was the Y/C delay test, and at 10ns it just barely failed. This level of Y/C delay is pretty much imperceptable. Taking this test out of the scoring would place the CP72 tied with the others. I am happy with my CP72 (never saw any hint of Y/C delay problems with Video Essentials OR Avia test disks) My unit doesn't seem to have any "quality" issues, either....

The lack of coax on the digital audio out can be easily resolved with an appropriate adapter if need be.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Quote:
Is the panasonic DVD-S31 a Europe only player of some sort? Bought it recently at Costco for $89 and so far so good.
It is more than likely a model that is made just for Costco. Many manufacturers make models exclusivly for these kinds of retailers for price guarantee reasons. I have seen this with Toshiba, Panasonic and Sony to name a few.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by mrwizard
The lack of coax on the digital audio out can be easily resolved with an appropriate adapter if need be.
What is coax digital audio out used for exactly? (sorry..new to DVD stuff)

Looks like cp72 could be a could upgrade from my old apex.. which doesn't even have component outs.

·
Registered
2018: LG OLED55C8P.. 2022: 75" Samsung QN95B
1,063 Posts
i recently made a purchase for a cp72s and let me tell you how it went.. ok?

now, i have an APEX hacked 1500.. awesome cheapo unit, never had a complaint.. but lately i've been renting quite a few dvd's from netflix and.. well, you know the rest.. i got bit by the bug

so off i go to research.. it all boiled down to a SONY vs PANASONIC.. problem is the chroma bug.. so out goes the sony.. it's all panasonic now, but what model? there's the rp82, xp30, cp67, and cp72 (those were my final four) now.. the rp82 and xp30 are pretty much "tied" for the so called top spot only because secrets recommended it..

that's all great and good BUT, the rp82 is the king.. so if you can't get that.. why settle for second best with the xp30, it's not often i upgrade.. so if i'm going to upgrade and shell out the $$$.. i want to UPGRADE

so enter: cp67 and cp72 .. both have the faroudja which means awesome picture quality, etc etc.. but the cp72 trumps the cp67

and by all accounts.. the cp72 is the 5 disc version of the rp82..

that's pretty much the summary of homework i did.. wherever i went.. the cp72 was the 5 disc version of the rp82 (not EXACTLY, but closest to)

hence, CP72 over the xp30

i say if you already have a dvd player, don't get the xp30.. that's dumb.. go for a real upgrade.. CP72 . ) i did, and have no regrets

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by GooglyBear
i say if you already have a dvd player, don't get the xp30.. that's dumb.. go for a real upgrade.. CP72 . ) i did, and have no regrets
Does the CP72 support DVD-Audio?

Peace...

·
Registered
117 Posts
Jackman:

In order to send the un-decoded digital audio signal from the DVD player to your receiver, you can either use an optical or a coax connector. They are merely two different transport mechanisms for the same digital information. You would typically use whichever your amp/receiver has. My receiver has both, so I was OK with the optical connector. With the CP-72, you ALSO have the option of by-passing the digital audio altogether, and connecting up the discrete 5.1 analog connections to your amp. This player has both Dolby Digital and DTS decoders built-in. However, most people prefer to do the decoding in their receiver/amps, because they usually have better D/A converters, and better bass management than DVD players.

tomdkat:

Yes, it supports DVD-Audio, but NOT SACD.... 5.1 analog hookup is required to take full advantage of the high resolution DVD-audio signal.... I have no DVD-Audio disks, so I have not tried it, though.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I went with an xp30 because I don't need DVD-A, it is essentially the same as the rp82 as far as picture and components go. The xp50 has dvd a but both the xp30 and xp50 are disappearing.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I bought a CP-72 about 3 weeks ago. Awesome PQ on my 42" plasma, much more of an improvement over my good, but non-progressive, Sony than I would have expected. No sign of the "white flashes" quality problems people used to report. I checked the Y-C timing with Avia and it's dead on.

This is a fabulous player. When the inventory of these and XP-30s that are in the channel are gone, there will be nothing as good available anywhere near this price point.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by mrwizard
Yes, but the ONLY shootout test that the CP72 failed that the others passed was the Y/C delay test, and at 10ns it just barely failed.
What exactly is Y/C delay and how does it manifest itself on the image?

thanks

·
Registered
36 Posts
I love my CP72, the picture quality has been stellar.

But I HATE the remote control it came with. It's probably the worst remote I've ever owned.

I'm not a big fan of universal remotes, but the stupid microscopic buttons on the CP72 remote has left me no choice.

-mm

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I hate bad remotes too.. but glad the CP72 is good picture quality. I just ordered one for a real good price.. with good return policy if I'm not happy with it.

Spoffo, what is the "white flashes quality problem" you mention? Is it something I should look for when I get mine?

Thanks for all input from everyone.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I researched very carefully which DVD player to buy and came up with the CP72 thinking it was the next best Panasonic to the RP82 and it plays DVD-A. NOW I hear about this "B" in the serial number trick and of course check my serial number and it has a "B" in it. BUMMER!!!!! Just how does this information become available? From a Panasonic employee? So much for doing one's homework only to be fooled later down the road :(

Deana

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.