AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After buying a CP72 and then hearing about possible "B" series not having Faroudja Sage chip I had to take it apart to check. Good news for anyone worried about this is that it does have that chip. Here is a pic of the SAGE chip on the circuit board.

http://members.aol.com:/shabammy/private/sagechip.jpg

I took some pics of other chips on board. Not an expert here, so not sure what they are but I know others will know. Thanks to Quackertoo2 and everyone else helping to solve this mystery. Sorry pics aren't great but I had used my camcorder for these stills.

http://members.aol.com:/shabammy/private/chips.jpg

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for taking the pictures Jackman11. I was worried all my research was wasted and I was stuck since my 30 days are almost up. Will you tell me IF yours had the "B" in the serial number AND was the silver model?

·
Registered
570 Posts
Quakertoo2-But don't you have the RP62?

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Jeez, I hope you guys are happy. I went ahead and bit the bullet and ordered one now. I was more concerned about the build quality issues people had with the CP72. Maybe that's what the B in the serial number signifies, but either way their seemed to be enough happy CP72 owners to take a chance on it. A 5 disc changer that can handle DVD-A for under $200, seems like a good buy to me. :)

Edit: I didn't even realize the $30 rebate is still good til the end of May...not bad: shipping +$10 Scratch and Dent -$30 and rebate -$30 =$150 total for me. Crutchfield says "low stock" on the scratch and dent. I know I read one person here say they got one with a scratch on the bottom, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'm that lucky. I figure as long as it's not the front I don't care.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rob,

I didn't know rebate was still in effect. Where do I find out info on this or get a rebate form?

Also, got mine from Scratch and Dent.. seems fine to me.. no scratches or dents whatsoever.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jackman11
Rob,

I didn't know rebate was still in effect. Where do I find out info on this or get a rebate form?

Also, got mine from Scratch and Dent.. seems fine to me.. no scratches or dents whatsoever.
Panasonic's website. http://www.panasonic.com/consumer_el...vd_changer.asp

It's funny because I've looked at this player on Crutchfield's site before and they mentioned the rebate, but not anymore. If the scratch and dent are gone, I may have got the last one because I wrote that post right after I made the order. Currently it says preparing to ship, hopefully they actually have it. If not I'll call them and tell them to open one up and make a pencil mark on it or something :D $200 with the $30 rebate is still a good deal. If I had to settle for that I wouldn't be disappointed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Kevinw
Quakertoo2-But don't you have the RP62?
No I have the CP72S.

Rebate info: I just sent mine off last Thursday, it was from Crutchfield, expiration date Must be purchased be 03-31-03 and Panasonic MUST receive it by April 30, 2003. I also did the 20.00 discount from a friend at my husbands work AND put it on my Master Card for another 20.00 off. Final cost 170.00. And now that I have been reassured that even though I have a "B" in the serial number that I indeed have a great player with the Faroudja Sage chip since that was high on the buy this particular model list, that and the Shootout results, I'm a very happy camper!

Deana

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
-crying- i love my cp72s but the sage dcdi doesnt even factor in unless you have an hdtv!!!! *bawling*

SIGH

ARGH

-whimper-

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Gogglybear,

ya don't need hdtv.. just a progressive input. I'm using mine with a little 800x600 X1 projector.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jackman11
Gogglybear,

ya don't need hdtv.. just a progressive input. I'm using mine with a little 800x600 X1 projector.
yeah still will cost what, $1,500??? :p basically i need around a grand to utilize this baby.. a grand i don't have :(

argh

i hate knowing.. i was blissful in my ignorance! now this knowledge is like that sore on the top of your mouth which would heal if only you'd stop tonguing it :p

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Qwackertoo2
No I have the CP72S.

Rebate info: I just sent mine off last Thursday, it was from Crutchfield, expiration date Must be purchased be 03-31-03 and Panasonic MUST receive it by April 30, 2003.

Deana
Then apparently it's been extended and Crutchfield didn't notice. This is from the rebate form:

How to claim your $30 rebate:

1. To receive your $30 rebate, purchase one of the following Panasonic DVD Changers: DVD-CV37, DVD-CV52K, DVD-CP67K, DVD-CP67S, DVD-CP72K, or DVD-CP72S between October 15, 2002 and May 31, 2003.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.