AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently play DVDs using TheaterTek on a Radeon 7200 using simple overlay, on a Celeron 1300.

I am curious about DScaler, VMR9, ffdshow and DVI/better DACs of the 9600/9800 series.

The true enthousiasts will say there is never enough, but how much processing power would do ?

As I understand it, VMR9 is limited by the Graphics Card 3D pipeline horsepower, and ffdshow would be CPU bound.

As not everybody can have a 3.2GHz P4 with 9800XT, I have a tentative upgrade path of a 9600XT (reasonable cost) on a 2.4G P4 (that I already own).

What would be the limitations of that rig on a 1280x720 LCD FP ?

THNX

RudyRedNose

·
Registered
631 Posts
I am looking for the answer to the same, or similar, question.

I'd like to expand the question, if I may, to include an AMD vs. Intel question: I've noticed that benchmarks on different processors vary from category to category. For instance, while one CPU might excel at gaming, it lags behind in video encoding. When looking at these reviews, do any of these standard benchmarks reflect the same kind of processing that takes place when running DScaler, ffdshow, or software MPEG decoders?

Rudy, the ffdshow FAQ thread has a few references to processor speeds. As you mentioned, the more the better, with people piling on filters to challenge their 3.2GHz+ (overclocked) systems. I think there's a sane compromise, though, and it seems like there were people in the 2.6GHz range that were satisfied. If you have a 2.4GHz CPU in your possession, I'd definitely give that a shot before worrying about something faster.

For reference, playing around with Zoomplayer/PowerDVD, ffdshow resize to 1280x720, with gradual noise and another filter, stuttered a great deal on my 1.4GHz Athlon. This is using a 9800 Pro, which I don't think enters into this equation. I haven't played with DScaler or VMR9, yet.

Thanks,

--Mike

·
Registered
129 Posts
I'm running ffdshow on my AMD Barton 2500+ over-clocked to 3200+ rating.

I'm interested in only three functions: resize to 1024x768 using any of the sinc/spline/lanczos, DScaler Sharpen and Blur&NR: gradual denoise 5 - 25.

My 7500 would not allow me to turn on its fast write. Bought a 9600 Non Pro with no fan and turn on the fast write both in MB BIOS and ATI Control Panel and sinc with gradual denoise finally runs smoothly.

It's said that a GPU fan not only noisy but also its magnetic field interference will bring out video noise. So far, 9600 non pro satisfies my need perfectly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.