AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All right, I cracked my LCD tv with my wii-mote. I am devastated. I now cannot live without my HDtv... lol. I want to get a tougher TV and that led me to the Panasonic Plasma with the TUF (tough under force) but I cannot find anywhere that says just how tough it is...

I have seen the metal 'golf' ball video, but I haven't seen anyone throw a wii-mote at it. At this point I would like to get the plasma, but I do not want to be out over $1,000 again... If I cannot find the info, I'll have to go rear or front projector...

So, who has experience on how tuf the Panasonic is?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Is this serious? Dont buy a TV because you can throw stuff at it. Hold onto the remote, there is a strap and you can buy aftermarket covers that are a rubber gel type stuff.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, this is serious. Yes, my wii-motes have straps and they have the silicon covers. But still, I have children, and I do not buy a tv to throw things at it. What I do want is durability.

It is quite rational: if some purchase A costs x amount, and there is a probability P that it may break, then it boils down to how much of a risk-taker a person is. LCD is fragile. There was hardly any impact and my screen cracked. In my context, LCD is way too fragile for my comfort level. I want something that is tough as nails. Durability is worth far more to me than 1080p vs 1080i. I'll even fork out extra $$ for a tank...

Personally, if I worked for any of the LCD companies, I would put the focus of my R&D into tougher exterior screens, and I am confident that once they caught on, they would outsell lighter screens simply because the investment in a tv is not a cheap thing. It is about the return on investment.

Not about buying a tv to throw things at...

·
Registered
211 Posts
buy a sheet of optically clear plexi-glass and place it infront of the screen. Or keep your self and kinds under control.

Honestly we never heard of people breaking crt sets and they were a glss tube under vacuum that could implode easy.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
First, beat your kids for breaking your HDTV. I guarantee next time they'll use the straps. Then tell them their screwed cause daddy's new tv is off limits. Sell their Wii and use that money and part of their college fund to buy you a nice new TV. Problem solved.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Glass screen vs thin plastic... Hmmm, which one is tougher?

Maybe I should just sell the wii... But I was thinking Front projection on the wall, then let the kids go Buck. Why not? Dry wall and mud is soooo cheap!!

Seriously though, lcd is weak. Besides attacking me for 'not being under control' or whatever, try telling me lcd is tough.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One more thing, pretend you are concerned about breaking a tv, what would you do? Flat? Rear Projection? Front Projection? Or a Panny Plasma?

Has anyone seen first-hand that the tuf screen is tough?

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I don't buy a TV. It looks like your only option if you can't get others to properly use the Wii is to go front projector route. otherwise you'll always have to worry about breaking a screen. The only way not to worry about a screen is to not have one.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That is what I am thinking. Cost of a 50" plasma roughly the same as the Front projector. Ambient light sucks though.

I found a projector that is 720p, but the lumens are about1100. Can I swap in a 2000 lumen bulb? Anyone know? I noticed the typical school projector has 2000 lumen bulbs, whereas home theater projectors have 1000 to 1500 lumens.

·
Registered
346 Posts
pathetic, nuff said. Sorry...it truly is.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It is what it is and the **** happens...

But again, what I want is someone to talk about the TUF screen... Keep the flaming down, info sharing up...

·
Registered
211 Posts
Serriously if lexan can stop bullets why couldn't it protect a tv?

do a search for "wii screen protector" and you'll find plenty of peoples solutions for the infamus flying wiimote of doom.

fyi plasmas are more prone to shattering becaus most use a glass front screen, but lcds use a plastic screen so would be ruined by impact just as easy.

a big sheet of optically clear plexi-glass will work with either type and is cheap.

even a this sheet works, just not flat against the panel. If it is mounted with some thick doublesided foam tape of velcro I dought a hit would flex enough to still ruin the tv. the plexi might scratch but its cheaper to replace than a whole tv.

Still not to flame but how does one hurl a wiimote as to damage a tv? I've played a lot of wii and even while in a heated match of tiger woods golf, swinging full out while way to drunk to be able to balance well, let alone play, I still never threw a wiimote.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i've just picked up a fabricated protector from tvscreenprotector.com. Saves you the time to build it yourself and it does exactly what its built to do.

·
Registered
860 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg_H /forum/post/15511192

All right, I cracked my LCD tv with my wii-mote. I am devastated. I now cannot live without my HDtv... lol. I want to get a tougher TV and that led me to the Panasonic Plasma with the TUF (tough under force) but I cannot find anywhere that says just how tough it is...

I have seen the metal 'golf' ball video, but I haven't seen anyone throw a wii-mote at it. At this point I would like to get the plasma, but I do not want to be out over $1,000 again... If I cannot find the info, I'll have to go rear or front projector...

So, who has experience on how tuf the Panasonic is?

Thanks!!

Bigg_H,

Sorry for your loss, but you are in good company!

I have heard of the infamous Wii into the screen trick on a number of occasions... it is a relatively common problem the way gamers thrash those controllers around!

...Glenn

1 - 15 of 15 Posts