AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I've been reading through here, I see you're all into the high-end stuff, please don't look down on me. ;)

I've got a Sony STR-DE835 hooked up to some big o' Pioneer floor speakers, and Technics center and dipole surrounds.

I get a crackling noise when I adjust the volume with the remote. Hmmm, I just thought of something, I don't know if the noise is there when I change the volume manually...maybe it's interference from the motor that turns the knob?

Well, if any of you have dealt with this before, or think you might know what's going on, please let me know.

Thanks,

Matt

·
Registered
371 Posts
Do you get that cracking when turning the volume control by hand also?

If Yes, it may be dirty potentiometer (volume control). It may go away if you excersize it. Turn the volume control knob several times all the way up and down several times. To save your ears you may want to make sure there is no input. If that does not work, you may have to take the cover of the receiver off and spray a contact cleaner inside the potentiometer while excerizing the knob. You can find such cleaner at Radio Shack.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by beboram
Do you get that cracking when turning the volume control by hand also?
I'm not sure, but I don't think so. I'll have to check when I get home.

Thanks!

Matt

·
Registered
126 Posts
Might be static. A friend of mine had static in his tone controls, and he bought this spray that's apparently designed for taking care of just that. You take the knobs off and spray this stuff right in there. Sounds kinda strange, but it worked in his case. Anyone else familiar with this problem/solution?

·
Banned
1,647 Posts
I have the same problem, both remote or knob on brand new receiver!

I just attributed it to the "new" digital receivers, as I don't think they actually use an analogue volume control.....or do they? I get a click each -db step I go!!.....So, it's not dust, I would think, just a distinct single pop for each and every db increase or decrease. Something I'm not used to.:(

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
You can also get noises similar to this caused by a bad ground or faulty or loose cables. I would check those also. At any rate, this kind of noise is not typical of a modern digital receiver or preamp.

Dsmith

·
Registered
842 Posts
Actually it is a quite common complaint of "digital" volume contols and will not harm the receiver and or effect the music.

It has been a big complaint with the HK and Denon receivers.

It is not caused by the same "contact interferance" of older step type pots.

Regards,

John

·
Banned
1,647 Posts
I only get the popping [ a sinlge "click" noise for eacg db level change] when changing volume on digital content. This does not occur when changing volumes on analogue content, so, I rule out the dust/dirt/grit issue in my particular case.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.