AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did search for this and didn't find anyone with the same symptoms that I have. I think I just have a simple question though - I have an ADCOM 5.1 system with an amp (GFA-6000) and pre-amp/tuner (GTP-750). I've had them for a long time in multiple houses with lots of animals, so I think there is probably a dust / hair issue.

I am getting crackling sounds in every speaker, sometimes with nothing currently playing (DVD / Video Game paused and still making sound) it's not consistent at all, but can get very annoying.

Basically I'm just trying to figure out which part of the system would be the one making the sounds, the AMP or the PREAMP?? I'm sure most answers will be "both", but if you had to pick, which is more likely the issue?

And should I be able to clean them out myself with not a lot of experience in this area, or have a professional do it?

·
Registered
169 Posts
sounds like a speaker wire/terminal is loose

id unplug all of them and start plugging them in 1 by 1 to troubleshoot

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Have you checked your cinema popcorn maker?

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have this exact issue with my system but it's nothing like yours. I have a Denon 1908, a Behringer ep2500 power amp and a DSP1124 for EQ.

This started a year after I got my receiver, Denon said the HDMI board was bad so they replaced it and it went away for 5-6 months then came back. I sent the receiver back to them and they said nothing was wrong with it. I did notice the sound was better using Toslink instead of HDMI so I started using that instead. 3 months later the cracking started over the Toslink as well.

As with you the cracking is in every speaker and not consistent. I get the cracking even when all sources are off and only the receiver is on.

I'm about to buy another receiver hoping that will fix the problem but I really have no idea what is causing it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did you ever try to do anything to the amp and not the tuner? I'm wondering if that is where both our issues are actually coming from.

·
Registered
5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_sun /forum/post/18312491

I have this exact issue with my system but it's nothing like yours. I have a Denon 1908, a Behringer ep2500 power amp and a DSP1124 for EQ.

This started a year after I got my receiver, Denon said the HDMI board was bad so they replaced it and it went away for 5-6 months then came back. I sent the receiver back to them and they said nothing was wrong with it. I did notice the sound was better using Toslink instead of HDMI so I started using that instead. 3 months later the cracking started over the Toslink as well.

As with you the cracking is in every speaker and not consistent. I get the cracking even when all sources are off and only the receiver is on.

I'm about to buy another receiver hoping that will fix the problem but I really have no idea what is causing it.

Does the volume of the noise change if you change gain on the amp? I'd start looking at any component with the Behringer name first in any event. It's a great value, but not audiophile quality.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
After 9+ years of good service, the amplifier on my subwoofer starting crackling and popping. My understanding is that a failing capacitor is the likely problem because the problem had happened with the same (or very similar) amplifiers of others (in much less than 9 years). The most straightforward solution for me was to replace the amplifier with a new one.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would consider replacing the amp if I was positive that was the issue, but I don't know how I can test that without having another amp to plug the preamp outputs into.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Recently bought a used Chiro amp locally & using it to drive Martin Logan Vista's using Onkyo's preouts. I get popping sound from the ML's only when turning on/off the Onkyo receiver & the cable box. Also hear gentle popping noise when changing channels. I am wondering if it is the amp as this never happened with previous amp I had. No popping rest of the time when the program is playing. I am wondering if the caps in the amp are going bad. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had an Onkyo tx-sr607 that would do this. It was only 3 months old so I returned it and got the tx-sr608. Same issue.

It is totally random. Present in all sources, even analog. I have tried these things so far. New HDMI cables. Switched from HDMI to Toslink for Sat. TV. HDMI to SPDIF for PC input. I even replace the surge protector to a UPS thinking maybe it was a power conditioning issue. Still does it.

This is a noise that make a pop/crackle/sizzle/click/snap I don't know what you call it but, it is defiantly different than a relay click, power on pop or format changing noise. To me, it sounds power/electricity related. My system is on a GFI circuit. Not sure if that could be it. Unfortunately that is the one thing I cannot change.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
I don't get any popping when speakers are directly connected to Onkyo or when the souce is playing or using a different amp. Don't know if it is a problem due to HDMI or amp.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts